3. Works when in neutral
4. Continue with it as is

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Oil level light? poll
adithorp

posted on 22/7/14 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Oil level light? poll

On my R1 the oil level light comes on when driving. It happens either on track at high revs or at certain constant revs; Like 7-8000 but OK just above or below.

It's a common complaint and the suggested causes are the angle of the engine in the car (unlikely as it's known in the bike), vibration, frothing of the oil (float sinks)...

Anyway I've finally got fed up of it when in France/Italy last month. Now I could just disconnect it, but it's handy to know the level is OK, even if I can only trust it at idle. So I thought why don't I put a button in the circuit so it's just "push to check"... then I thought I could put it through a relay, triggered by the neutral or handbrake light.

So which do you think?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

renetom

posted on 22/7/14 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Oil

Hi
I was always led to believe that yes the engine is at a different angle in a car
And therefore you need to fit a baffle plate in the sump, so as not to loose oil pressure mostly in bends on track.
On our R1 engine the level switch you refer to is not a level switch , but a pressure
switch, & not a good idea if it comes on, as it means you'r loosing pressure.
Ok you could say a level light but if you rely on it as such to top up you engine will go bang.
We did away with ours & fitted a mechanical oil pressure switch & gauge
Along with a baffle plate.
Good luck.
René

adithorp

posted on 22/7/14 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have no oil problems. I've got a sump baffle (sensor float sits above this anyway), the required breather mod's, oil pressure and temp gauges, oil stat and oil cooler.

The oil light on the R1 dash is a level light switched by the float switch in the sump. It's a well known fault that it comes on when driving/riding. Just look on the R1 and Fazer forums for the complaints. Mines been doing this for 6years and over 20,000.

How exactly have you managed to use a boss into the sump the measure oil pressure? Mine is from a sensor in the main oil gallery and others drill the oil cooler bolt.

One day I'll remember to make the last option in a poll as...
4. I'll answer a completely different different question.

[Edited on 22/7/14 by adithorp]

40inches

posted on 22/7/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
If the oil pressure is still up when the warning light comes on, I would go for option 3.

renetom

posted on 23/7/14 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi
We drilled & tapped the oil cooler bolt for the capillary,
left the whole thing in the sump as its a pressure relief valve
& just cut the wire.
Are we talking about the same thing ?.

adithorp

posted on 23/7/14 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renetom
...On our R1 engine the level switch you refer to is not a level switch , but a pressure
switch, & not a good idea if it comes on, as it means you'r loosing pressure....

...left the whole thing in the sump as its a pressure relief valve
& just cut the wire...

Are we talking about the same thing ?.

Yes, the sensor fitted in the bottom of the sump with a wire from it, is what we're talking about.

...and no, it's neither a pressure switch or a relief valve (thats the bit somtimes refered to as the "tulip valve".

I'm leaning towards doing it via a relay, as with a seperate push switch I'd not press it very often. The h/brake switch seem favorite as I use the handbrake more often than I put it in neutral, so it would be live/active more often and I could manually check it, even when driving just by slightly lifting the lever.

renetom

posted on 23/7/14 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies
The pressure relief valve I was thinking about is below the oil sump strainer
The oil level sensor is what I should have been thinking about
we just cut the wire as it was a pain in the proverbial.
just check the sight glass is showing oil to the top of it.
We have done nearly 2000 miles never had to top it up & no oil in the catch tank.
It does mention the fault in the Yamaha
workshop manual, like you said.

[Edited on 23/7/14 by renetom]

Davey D

posted on 23/7/14 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Mine comes on if I do a sustained 8k rpm or more on a long road . It also stays on for the full session on a track day. As soon as I come off the track the light goes off. I just think of it as my "Giving it some" light

I've got a sump baffle, breather mod, front mount oil cooler, and oil tempo and pressure sensors. I keep my eye on the pressure sensor when on track, and it has never dropped, so I don't worry

renetom

posted on 23/7/14 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
No disrespect but why would you want to keep this ?
Its unreliable gives false readings, even more so in a car
because of the engine angle.
Even Yamaha admit its little better than tits on a boar.

jelly head

posted on 23/7/14 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
It proper gets on my hampton cos my brain's programmed to panic the second a light comes on on a dashboard.

I like the sound of the neutral / relay idea, if you go for it let us know how it goes.

adithorp

posted on 23/7/14 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by renetom
Hi
No disrespect but why would you want to keep this ?

It's useful when it does read correctly even though that tends to only be when idling, so I just choose to ignore it the rest of the time but there's always an unruly voice whispering "red light!" hence the reason for thinking of the mod. Just cutting it off would be excepting defeat.

Just visually checking the level is fine if you only do a few miles but try touring, covering 3000miles in a week with a few days of crap weather; Maintenance gets overlooked in favour of drying out, putting up tents... and drinking beer.

The poll is turning out to be decisive... NOT!

SpencerP

posted on 23/7/14 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
I like the neutral idea too. I spend too much time trying to "ignore" the red light, but don't want to give up the indicator altogether. Bugger, now another project...
philfingers

posted on 27/7/14 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Before I read all the posts I went for the neutral light option as I spend a lot more time in neutral and hardly ever use the handbrake. Then I read you hardly ever use neutral! Mine isn't connected in my car (5VY as you know). I don't see this as a problem much anyway. Once you've had a vehicle a while you get to know how much oil it consumes and under what conditions. My 2 stroke 250 motorcycle uses a similar system. The oil level light for the 2 stroke oil tank comes on as a check light when it's in neutral. It's a check so you know the bulb us working. If it comes on in gear (rather when the neutral light is out) then you need to top the oil tank up.
So I think oil level light should be orange and should only come on in neutral. Orange because it's a warning- not a 'switch off immediately' light. You have the low pressure light for that- which I'd make big and bright so you can't miss it!

The true home of cars born under the Sylva name - http://jpsc.org.uk/forum

STM Phoenix R1
Sold-Sylva Striker 1300xf, 40s etc
Sold-Sylva Phoenix, 1300xf, BVH, 234cam, 2xDCOE 40s, live axle - 'old school', rally car and a few bikes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.