Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW 328i, can't wait to get this engine in my kit.
Nickp

posted on 1/8/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
BMW 328i, can't wait to get this engine in my kit.

Just picked this up off ebay for £465, with a weeks MOT. As the sun's been out I thought I might as well MOT it and run it for a while to make sure the engine's good . Cost me £26 in rear brake parts to get it through

[IMG]http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww236/enicpic/E36_zps27924f29.jpg [IMG]

Gave it an oil change today before giving it the beans, and WOOOHOOO!! It's a flying machine!! Got an M50 inlet manifold to fit which should add about 30bhp. OMG it'll be mental in a Haynes!!
The engines been to the moon and back (several times) at 220k+ but has loads of service history , you can't hear it running, and it passed MOT emissions with totally shagged plugs a blocked air filter and oil like tar. So with a bit of TLC I think it'll make a decent donor. It's the first time I've driven one of these and it's a cracking smooth engine that pulls from nothing and just gets stronger and stronger as the revs rise

[Edited on 1/8/14 by Nickp]

theconrodkid

posted on 1/8/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
HOW MUCH
looks far too good to break,why not sell it and buy a V8 with the procedes

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

SteveWallace

posted on 1/8/14 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I can vouch for the fact that its a great engine to put in a 7.

I've been out in mine a couple of times in recent days and even though I've not been brave enough to push it hard yet, its very very quick, even from a standing start in second gear, rather than first. I need to do the M50 manifold modification and I also have an ECU with a faster map to swap to, but I thought that I would get used to only (!) 193BHP before adding to it.

I'm not a million miles from you (I'm just of J26), so if you need to have a look at one in a car and your passing by, just give me a shout.

NigeEss

posted on 1/8/14 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ooh, this thread could be interesting as I've just bought a 2000 E46 328i coupe with 100k on it for £800.
Not to break, but as a road legal track toy.

I'm curious as to this M50 manifold conversion, what's it off and what else is needed ? And where does
the faster map ECU come from.

ps: sorry to hijack the thread

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

BigFaceDave

posted on 1/8/14 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss
Ooh, this thread could be interesting as I've just bought a 2000 E46 328i coupe with 100k on it for £800.

I'm curious as to this M50 manifold conversion, what's it off and what else is needed ? And where does

The manifold is off of 325's but a bit of a fiddle to fit but well worth it, I picked up a 328i last year for very very little money - absoloutley cracking car super smooth and fantastic to drive and went like stink! Shame it was so bad on fuel but I only live a mile from work and I was averaging 13mpg

Ps if anyone wants a engine I will be breaking it in the near future!

Nickp

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
HOW MUCH
looks far too good to break,why not sell it and buy a V8 with the procedes

I've thought long and hard about the V8, but I've already modified my chassis to take the 6 pot. The V8 looks a pig to fit and tbh am I ever gonna need more than a 2.8 6 pot? Well maybe, but if so then a 3.2 M3 lump will drop straight on the mounts and take me to a whole new level of SCARY!!

Nickp

posted on 2/8/14 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace

I'm not a million miles from you (I'm just of J26), so if you need to have a look at one in a car and your passing by, just give me a shout.

Ta Steve, I'll take you up on this one day mate

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 2/8/14 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Awesome news mate, I'm slightly envious

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 2/8/14 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NigeEss

There's a couple of places you can send the ECU off to in order to give it a quick tweak and remove some features - this is nearly a necessity to put it in a kit car as it allows it to run without some of the other bits (like original BMW diff).

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

SteveWallace

posted on 2/8/14 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
That's right, the main things that you might need to change on the ECU to use it in a 7 are

I) A software ABS delete. Unless you are also using the BMW running gear and ABS sensors then the ECU will go into limp home mode after a few miles when it doesn't see an ABS speed signal. This is hard to fake as its a digital signal rather than an analogue one that you could have picked up via, say, an after market speed sensor.

ii) Software EWS delete. I ended up using the EWSII immobiliser system from the donor, as much for the challenge of seeing if I could get it to work as for security, but if you don't us it then then the ECU will not work unless the requirement for it to look for the code has been deleted

iii) A performance map. I have a second ECU with a more performance based map. Not sure how much difference it really makes as I've not tried it yet.

There is a guy in Birmingham that can reprogram BMW ECU's and another operating out of Scotland who sells on e-Bay.

Brake buster

posted on 2/8/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
That's right, the main things that you might need to change on the ECU to use it in a 7 are

I) A software ABS delete. Unless you are also using the BMW running gear and ABS sensors then the ECU will go into limp home mode after a few miles when it doesn't see an ABS speed signal. This is hard to fake as its a digital signal rather than an analogue one that you could have picked up via, say, an after market speed sensor.

ii) Software EWS delete. I ended up using the EWSII immobiliser system from the donor, as much for the challenge of seeing if I could get it to work as for security, but if you don't us it then then the ECU will not work unless the requirement for it to look for the code has been deleted

iii) A performance map. I have a second ECU with a more performance based map. Not sure how much difference it really makes as I've not tried it yet.

There is a guy in Birmingham that can reprogram BMW ECU's and another operating out of Scotland who sells on e-Bay.

i am building a 318 based car, but am thinking of upgrading to a 6 cylinder

are the engine mounts compatible ?

i am using the BMW 5 speed gearbox , diff , and all running gear ,

i take it i will need the ECU mods mentioned ?

u got any pics ?

BB

[Edited on 2/8/14 by Brake buster]

its not how fast you go , its how late you brake !

rodgling

posted on 2/8/14 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
ABS: not a problem. The ECU needs to see some kind of pulse train - I fed mine the signal from the speed sensor on the diff instead and that was fine. RPM signal would probably work too, or the output of a wheel speed sensor.

EWS: it's easy enough to make this work if you can find a wiring diagram. I've got the EWS II working on my car.

Performance: on the 328, you really do need to get the redline raised as the default is 6200. If you do the manifold swap then a remap is a good idea.

quote:

SteveWallace

posted on 2/8/14 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brake buster
i am building a 318 based car, but am thinking of upgrading to a 6 cylinder

are the engine mounts compatible ?

i am using the BMW 5 speed gearbox , diff , and all running gear ,

i take it i will need the ECU mods mentioned ?

u got any pics ?

BB

[Edited on 2/8/14 by Brake buster]

Welcome to the forum. Its the best place you could come to for advice on building kit cars. I know that I would never have got mine through IVA without it. Also, there are more and more of us on here going down the BMW donor route. Its worth showing your location - there is always someone near by if you ever need any hands on help. If you are going to become a regular user, then please give a few £ as a contribution to Chris to keep the site going.

I've had no experience of BMW 4-pot engines, but I would have thought that you would be lucky to find that the engine mounts are the same (or at least in the same place for where you want to mount the engine in the car). Either way, I made new engine mounts anyway to fit my chassis.

If the donor car had EWS and ABS then you will need to do the software modification or use the EWS and ABS components in your build. The performance map is just personal choice.

If you follow the link to my photo archive in any of my posts you will see lots of build pics.

SteveWallace

posted on 2/8/14 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
ABS: not a problem. The ECU needs to see some kind of pulse train - I fed mine the signal from the speed sensor on the diff instead and that was fine. RPM signal would probably work too, or the output of a wheel speed sensor.

Good point, I forgot that it depends on the age of the donor car. I cannot remember the year, but at some point, BMW changed their electrics to a CANBUS system which uses digital signals. As I understand it, before that date, any pulse train would work but after that date its harder to fake. It cost me £30 to get my ABS deleted and to get the rev limit raised, so it was easier for me to do that than mess around since I didn't use the BMW diff.

[Edited on 2/8/14 by SteveWallace]

Nickp

posted on 3/8/14 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I think I'm gonna go for this-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151357806856&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_895wt_1275

And this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M50-Inlet-Manifold-Fitting-Kit-M52-Upgrade-Manifold-Kit-/111424368367?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item 19f168eeef

And fit them while the engine's still in the BMW, purely for testing purposes

Nickp

posted on 3/8/14 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
In fact, anyone got a spare M52B28 ECU I can 'borrow' to send off for 'fettling'? I'll replace it with my existing one once sorted.
rodgling

posted on 3/8/14 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, I've got a couple actually. I'm not sure if I have the immobiliser and chip (will include these if I do) but if you are getting rid of that it's not a problem. Yours for say £15 posted?
Nickp

posted on 3/8/14 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Yeah, I've got a couple actually. I'm not sure if I have the immobiliser and chip (will include these if I do) but if you are getting rid of that it's not a problem. Yours for say £15 posted?

Cool I'll send a u2u

scootz

posted on 3/8/14 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of weight is in the Beemer 6-pots?

I can't imagine they're particularly light...

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 3/8/14 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Quick Google suggests 170-180kg.

Can't find figures for the gearbox... can someone stick one on a set of scales if they get a mo?

It's Evolution Baby!

Nickp

posted on 3/8/14 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
To quote-

BMW took a large step in 1994 with the introduction of an aluminum block with the wear-resistant Nikasil coating on the cylinder bores. This reduced the engine's weight from around 190 kg (M50) to some 160 kg (M52). The camshafts were now fitted with counterbalancing masses, as was already the case on those of the eight-cylinder engine.

Nickp

posted on 3/8/14 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
The gearbox is a stumpy little affair and doesn't seem very heavy to me. I can weigh it if you really want
scootz

posted on 3/8/14 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Nick... found a reference - 35-39kg. Not too bad.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 3/8/14 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
To quote-

BMW took a large step in 1994 with the introduction of an aluminum block with the wear-resistant Nikasil coating on the cylinder bores. This reduced the engine's weight from around 190 kg (M50) to some 160 kg (M52). The camshafts were now fitted with counterbalancing masses, as was already the case on those of the eight-cylinder engine.

I think that figure of 160kg relates to the 2.0... the indication in the tables on this page are that the 2.8 is 170/180kg...

Link

It's Evolution Baby!

rodgling

posted on 3/8/14 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds about right to me. The engine is pretty heavy, especially the M3 lump. Gearbox is quite light. The diff is very heavy, it might be better to avoid using this if you can find a lighter diff that's strong enough.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.