Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pre SVA kit registered as original donor.
gaz05

posted on 12/8/14 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Pre SVA kit registered as original donor.

Been offered this for not a lot of money

It's on a "T" plate but speaking to DVLA it's still registered as the Cortina donor. I'm sure this was common pre SVA and I know there was an amnesty some time ago. Will it need an SVA now though? Needs a thorough refurb but I like it.

Dick Axtell

posted on 12/8/14 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hello. There is always a sound reason why any vehicle is sold cheaply, and still being registered as the donor vehicle, without any changes to the vehicle details, means that you would have to submit your vehicle to an IVA test. Which will cost you £450.

Bearing this in mind, you then have to ask yourself whether it'll be worth that expense, plus unknown cost of bringing this Rotrax(?) into line with IVA requirements. Think hard, but keep your money in your wallet.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

gaz05

posted on 12/8/14 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've just paid Vosa £450 for my Haynes IVA. Waiting on a test date this week.

Speaking to Swansea this afternoon the girl on the phone said it may just be a case of sending in photos etc and because it's a historic kit they may just change the details on the V5. Can't see it myself but was wondering if anyone had experience of it.

stevebubs

posted on 12/8/14 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Any history that this car has been built and on the road pre-SVA?
alfas

posted on 13/8/14 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
thats a Rotrax Safari

http://www.allcarindex.com/main-index/car-make-details/United-Kingdom-Rotrax/

according to the above homepage the kit was offered between 1988 and 1997...

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/8/14 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I liked the old Rotrax, died a death due to the SVA coming out, given the age of it it should be fine on the cortina docs. Just buy it on condition it has a new MOT but I don't see any issues, certainly not needing an IVA test, good luck even trying.

There were loads of kit cars at that time which were put through on their donor cars reg even though there wasn't much of the donor included! Some of the model names on the docs could be so made up too, I once had a Renault Mirage Countach!

I think my biggest concern would be going round corners...

[Edited on 13/8/14 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 13/8/14 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Any history that this car has been built and on the road pre-SVA?

I doubt this would matter as the amnesty is over. Its incorrectly registered and to be 100% legal would need to be IVA'd and reregistered.

Mistral Motorsport

alfas

posted on 13/8/14 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
the amnesty period is definately over..so anything which is still on the road with the donor name in the v5c (even with a fresh MOT) needs to be declared as INCORRECTLY registered.

this said, if you have enough prove (e.g. all old MOT´s) since the car was on the road as Rotrax you might be lucky asking the DVLA altering the V5c with the corrct car details....but there is only a small chance.

coozer

posted on 13/8/14 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon given evidence of the build date, old mots and whatever other history a dvla inspection will be all that's required for them to change the make and model on the v5. I would definatly try that before shelling for an Iva that your going to fail....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

alfas

posted on 15/8/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
here is a correctly registered one advertized for 2150,-pound:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/rotrax-jeep------1979/2709290

you might get it for 1500pound? and it has a 2L pinto running on EFI!!!

gaz05

posted on 15/8/14 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've been offered this one for £400
alfas

posted on 17/8/14 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
plus IVA, plus some bit and pieces here, plus time...plus-plus-plus...so i would rather try getting the other one, with some price negotiation, down to 1500,-.
owelly

posted on 17/8/14 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
I chopped-up two kit cars due to being registered as the donor. DVLA refused to alter the details on the V5 even though I had a pile of old MoTs, tax discs and insurance policies showing that one had been used every year since it was built. Plenty of folks say they've done it but none seem keen on showing the updated V5s..... Several members of the Magenta Register claim that they have had the V5s amended and that DVLA have said they get to keep the historic tax. The DVLA vehicle information webby suggests they are still running incorrectly registered cars....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfas

posted on 18/8/14 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
the one i posted above is now on ebay for 1950,-pound or offers......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.