Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative to standard air filter on 1.8 ltr CVH engine?
novicebuilder

posted on 28/9/14 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative to standard air filter on 1.8 ltr CVH engine?

I have kept the original the inlet manifold on my Sierra 1.8 CVH engine. The air filter is a big pancake filter with plastic inlet tube. Air sensor and vacuum are connected to plastic assembly. It is really too big for the bonnet on my Haynes roadster build. Any advice about alternatives that others have used?

The carburettor is a Pierburg 2V model and has a 95mm diameter air filter inlet flange. I have not been able to find a filter with this diameter inlet, to simply sit on top (even it would need to poke through bonnet). I beginning to think I will have to make something in aluminium, but others must have solved this problem before, so advice would be great. I am near the end of the build and I am not going to replace the inlet manifold with other carburettors. Guidance from those who have built with same engine would be really helpful. Thanks.

AdrianH

posted on 29/9/14 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Pipercross did a selection of filters to fit the Pierburg carb. I used one of them and a PX303D or 4D filter.

I would ring them and ask if they still do the base plate for the 2V, or worst case have to buy a blank plate and cut the holes in your self.

They used the same carb on some VW's as well.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

whitestu

posted on 29/9/14 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I used a K&N and modiified the blank plate to fit.

like this:

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

novicebuilder

posted on 29/9/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, I will follow up both suggestions.
novicebuilder

posted on 29/9/14 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Whitestu….on another note……..

I have just looked at your photo archive and your exhaust system is exactly what I am trying to build. I have had an exhaust manifold plate for the CVH cut in stainless steel. Now working out a way to bend S/S pipes to drop down inside the frame and exit as one or two tubes from the passenger side low down. How did you build yours? I was thinking about hiring a tube bender and making it myself. Any tips. Thanks

whitestu

posted on 30/9/14 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is Westfield CVH system that I bought form a guy who was swapping his 1.6 CVH for a turbo engine.

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.