Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coupling SWA cable to plastic conduit
Browser

posted on 30/9/14 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Coupling SWA cable to plastic conduit

I've replaced an existing power cable which went to my shed (moved the shed backwards 6ft, cable doesn't reach any more!) and I found the original (Wickes-supplied) 'weatherproof' junction box had signs of water ingress. I then discovered it was only IP44 so no suprise really. What I want is a box where I can have a glanded SWA cable coming in one side (I've got the outdoor glands already) and 20mm plastic conduit in the other. It's the end fitting for the conduit I was vexed about last time as I couldn't seem to find a purpose-made part with a compression fitting (or something similar) to seal around the condy and stop water getting in. Anyone?
SteveWalker

posted on 30/9/14 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy 20mm (or 25mm) threaded plastic fittings and nuts to go into your box, where the other end is a smooth tube for gluing to the conduit into. Just like using a solvent weld waste pipe joint.

Just had a look: http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-female-adaptors-20mm-black-pack-of-2/77225#product_additional_details_container

The other type has a male thread on the end and a female nut, but does the same job.

[Edited on 30/9/14 by SteveWalker]

DIY Si

posted on 30/9/14 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go for one of the threaded insert things glued into the conduit as above, with maybe a thin rubber washer under the head inside the box.

Failing that, thi s is IP56 rated.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

samjc

posted on 30/9/14 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
As stated above with a threaded fitting connected to the box and the conduit glue to the fitting. I have done similar for work but company usualy supplies a metal connection and galvanised conduit but i still run glue round the or ptfe tape if the metal conuit is threaded.
Barlidge

posted on 30/9/14 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Stuffing Gland?

Build Diary: http://www.roadster-builders.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=111

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.