Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: who s eaten all the pies
nick-york

posted on 21/11/14 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
who s eaten all the pies

Hi ! Just taken my pride and joy to a public weighbridge and got a big suprise . It weighs 760kg !! Lol I was expecting about 100 kg less ! Thats with half tank of petrol and without me !! Are there many heavier ones around ? - nick
nick205

posted on 21/11/14 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Seems a lot, but then I'm not that familiar with the Locust. Note from your avatar you have a spare wheel hanging off the back, that's got to be ~15kg of weight easily shed. Note also the clamshell arches, but not sure how the weight would compare with steel wing stays and cycle arches.

40inches

posted on 21/11/14 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick-york
Hi ! Just taken my pride and joy to a public weighbridge and got a big suprise . It weighs 760kg !! Lol I was expecting about 100 kg less ! Thats with half tank of petrol and without me !! Are there many heavier ones around ? - nick

That's about right. A MK BEC without screen etc; weighs in at around 520-540 kilos.
There are a lot of Pub weights around, I would want to see weigh station or IVA certificates before being convinced of
any weight below 500 kilos.

mark chandler

posted on 21/11/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's amazing how it adds up, when I made mine the complete frame was easy to shift around, installed the diff and engine and I could still just about pick up if I stood in the middle, add column, halfshafts stub axles and picking up either end was difficult, once I bolted on the wheels I had to bounce around.

i have tried to keep as light as possible and guess 450kg is a true weight if I'm honest.

760, that's still a fair hike with gearbox and a cast lump up front, is the plywood that heavy?

balidey

posted on 21/11/14 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Most public weigh bridges are designed to weigh circa 44 tonnes.
Accuracy down to 750kg range is not usually that great.
Try and find someone with a set of weigh pads to get a figure. This should also give you corner weights too.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

INDY BIRD

posted on 21/11/14 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Wow that's v8 car weights,

Must have used thick marine ply when np,ade yours and skined with Ali etc, is it cortina front end etc and live axel?

And the 5 th wheel dosnt help?

I had one with a pinto it was 600kg all in so not sure why you up there with weight

Best of luck

Get it on a winter diet

balidey

posted on 21/11/14 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to see light weight, I was browsing this site recently:

http://www.e-goaeroplanes.com/the-aeroplane/specifications/

OK its a plane, not a car, but its 115kg ! 23kg of that is engine

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Trollyjack

posted on 21/11/14 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's 510KG with no driver

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jenko

posted on 21/11/14 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get mine down to 500kgs (iva form to prove :-) But, have the advantage of an engine stuffed in the rear using a bog standard puma gear box, so no diff / prop shafts or heavy type 9's toworry about. 760 does sound like a fair bit, but an S1 Elise is about the same and still bloody quick.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

David Jenkins

posted on 21/11/14 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
My book Locost has a x-flow and a type 9 gearbox - a local weighbridge (used by DVLA) measured it at 600kg, +/-20kg according to the printout.

Not too shabby when you consider I wasn't trying to build it light anyway. It's still a bit lighter than the lathe I have in the garage!

nick-york

posted on 21/11/14 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Some interesting points! Well ive quite a bit of paperwork on the locust.It says the completed weight would be 600kg . But originally it had a 1300 xflow fitted and maybe a 4 speed box .now could this change in set up make a significant change to the weight ?
nick-york

posted on 21/11/14 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by INDY BIRD
Wow that's v8 car weights,

Must have used thick marine ply when np,ade yours and skined with Ali etc, is it cortina front end etc and live axel?it is cortina front end and live axle .

And the 5 th wheel dosnt help?

I had one with a pinto it was 600kg all in so not sure why you up there with weight

Best of luck

Get it on a winter diet

Camber Dave

posted on 22/11/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have a file of setup sheets the thickness of a telephone directory.

Most builders think the car is lighter than it is.

Most normal 7 type cars with car engine weigh in at around 680k with driver - as you use it......

To get under the magical 500k the car needs light alloy (or Carbon) body and lots of light parts Seats, wheels etc.

Car weight alone: Light Westfields and Caterhams are 550k and a CSR weighed in @614K

For comparison a stripped out (racing) Civic is 1130k and a (trackday - full cage) GTR Skyline 1400k

snapper

posted on 23/11/14 at 03:53 AM Reply With Quote
The Pinto is heavy but not massive, ancilleries add a fair bit, 5 speed box some more, seats carpets hood box of tools, spare fuel
Most of the people above quoting their very light weights are in denial
Drive it out of the garage like this man did and weigh it, see what the total is then.
Fuel is about a Kg per Litre you can use that as a guestimate for oils and coolant, perhaps 10+ Kg
Anyone running a proper roll cage that's 3.55Kg per meter, 10 meters?
Not may of use are jockies, I'm 11 stone, the average is 14 and you pie eaters well who knows
More denial perhaps?

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Jenko

posted on 23/11/14 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
No denial for me...I'm quoting what the iva form says, and that's with a full tank. I'm too old to worry about pubs figures. However, it's a good point regarding another items kit car owners put in their car. My car was always built with weight in mind, no spare wheels, no heater, windscreen, wiper motors, every component is as light as possible (within budget of course). Lots of weight to be saved using small wheels, etc, etc. there are plenty of 7esq cars on the race circuit with weight below 500kg, but, it costs lots of money, and lots of attention to detail...titanium bolts anyone?

[Edited on 23/11/14 by Jenko]

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.