Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blacktop supercharge project avon
Sierra

posted on 25/2/15 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Small update. I've move the radiator back and tilted it, mounted the intercooler just in front with a couple of top brackets.
I'm a bit concerned about the pipe work going to the top of the radiator now, because of the tilt I've had to fit a tight bend hose that will then have a 90' bend to original level. Will this still flow ok and allow water to get to the radiator?

You can see in the below pictures how the inlet ports will need extending and angled to give room for the supercharger underneath.

bi22le

posted on 25/2/15 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Any pics of your belt route and how you have tensioned it?

Just thought it would be good as reference ( for me when i start mine!)

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Sierra

posted on 25/2/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately no, the supercharger hasn't been mounted yet.
Sierra

posted on 2/3/15 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
So after a lot more reading it seems that what I originally planned to do with using a bov just won't be the best way.
From the research it seems there are only 2 options that can be used with my setup, both have there advantages but was wondering if anyone can give anymore negatives as to why one shouldn't be used.
Option1

Or

jeffw

posted on 2/3/15 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Just FYI I'm running 660cc injectors at 3.5bar to make 400BHP.

Sierra

posted on 3/3/15 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks jeff, yours is a whole different beast lol
Did you have to get a new upgraded fpr

jeffw

posted on 3/3/15 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Bosch 3.5Bar fixed FPR. We found the adjustable ones moved around over time which messed the map up.

Sierra

posted on 6/3/15 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Right with regards to the above diagrams I've decided to go with a slightly different setup lol
It's now going to be

Air filter > dummy tb > bypass > charger > intercooler > ford tb > inlet

Now I'm using dual tb's because of the large volume of air if only using 1 pre charger. Thing is would I be better having other end of the bypass valve to charger outlet or pipe after intercooler?

richardm6994

posted on 6/3/15 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steven,

I've emailed you this diagram which is pretty much what you're saying and what we've been discussing over our emails.......

Sierra

posted on 6/3/15 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
That's the one thanks Richard.
Be interested to see what people think to this instead of bypass directly into charger outlet.

Sierra

posted on 12/3/15 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Any opinions anyone?
old_timbo

posted on 16/3/15 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
I have a supercharged Pinto. I’m using the standard injection manifold and throttle body, an Eaton M62 blower, BMW mini bypass valve, turbo dump valve, Megasquirt. The bypass is from the outlet of the blower back to the inlet via the bypass valve. The bypass valve is vacuum actuated from the inlet manifold. I have a second bypass which uses a turbo dump valve set up as a pressure relief valve which also dumps back to the inlet. Max. Boost is about 12 psi and the pressure relief valve is set at about 14 psi.
I found that the bypass valve sometimes didn’t open sufficiently to deal with the flow from the blower. This typically happened at 70 mph (3000rpm) on small throttle openings when cruising. There would be insufficient vacuum to open the bypass. This often resulted in a loud pop as a pipe blew-off. The pressure relief valve set at slightly above max boost dealt with this. This set-up has given me a good, responsive, linear, throttle.
Incidentally the Eaton is a blower. A blower just moves air from a to b. A supercharger compresses air internally. So in theory when using an Eaton, other than a small increase due to friction heat soak etc., most of the temperature rise takes place in the system downstream of it where compression takes place. Therefore taking the bypass- off straight after the charger is not a problem. My inlet air temp. doesn’t increase until I start using the boost, and it quickly cools down again afterwards.

Sierra

posted on 16/3/15 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. Have you got any pictures of your setup? Also what figures did you get from your setup?
old_timbo

posted on 16/3/15 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just before I took it to get properly mapped the std Pinto pistons died (collapsed ring land). I'd done about 2000 miles blown which was enough to prove the concept and work up in steps from an initial 3 psi boost. I was hoping for 190 - 200 bhp; certainly went real quick and no need to rev with all the torque. I've just about finished rebuilding the engine with stronger lower comp pistons (8.3 instead of about 9.7). I'll take some pictures with it all assembled before I stick it back in. In the mean time I've uploaded a picture of the blower on the bench and what it looks like in the car (RH 2B). The blower is under the inlet alongside the engine where the dizzy, fuel pump and oil filter usually are, so not easy to see.
sandwich

posted on 17/3/15 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Would the above setup in the picture by richardm6994 work with ITBs like Jenveys or AT?
Sierra

posted on 23/3/15 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone tell me if I'd have to buy arp conrod bolts and also a decompression plate?
Sierra

posted on 16/4/15 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Well the project has now begun and the fun and games of getting the m62 charger mounted.
The car is with Richard at redseven engineering who is currently doing an amazing job and showing how skill full he really is.
Front bracket being made for m62

Finished front bracket

Test mounted to the engine

60mm pulley made

[Edited on 16/4/15 by Sierra]

Sierra

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
A bit more of an update on the build
Charger fully mounted

All pulleys aligned

Inlet tubes extended at an angle

You can see here that there's some clearance issues for the charger outlet

Outlet being made

Mock up and build of outlet

Tube added for recirc valve

Inlet being made with pre charger tb

With recirc

With throttle cable

All in place

Oddified

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Looking good

What is the recirc valve off??.

Ian

rdodger

posted on 20/5/15 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
Looking good

What is the recirc valve off??.

Ian

BMW MINI

Sierra

posted on 20/5/15 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it's from a bmw mini, hopefully that will be all I need.
richardm6994

posted on 30/5/15 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just a couple of photos before the supercharger gets hidden by the engine intake plenum.

jeffw

posted on 30/5/15 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good....

richardm6994

posted on 11/6/15 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
finally got the engine started yesterday.....I'm going to spend tonight tidying everything up and touching up some paintwork but here's a short video from last night.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpCT09RnM_0

Fcck2000

posted on 11/6/15 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardm6994
finally got the engine started yesterday.....I'm going to spend tonight tidying everything up and touching up some paintwork but here's a short video from last night.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpCT09RnM_0

Crikey watch your bloody fingers in that cam belt, made me wince watching your fingers going so close to an open running belt. Get the cam cover back on ;-)

Looks a really neat installation from what I can see.

Paul

Tiger SSC
220bhp on standard MZR Duratec engine with throttle bodies and mild camshaft upgrade.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.