Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Angle Grinder Sanding
SteveWallace

posted on 28/12/14 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Angle Grinder Sanding

Santa brought me a Bosch angle grinder for Christmas and I need some sanding attachments, so I looked and B&Q and Screwfix.

B&Q have a Bosch branded backing plate for about £12 and sets of 5 reinforced sanding discs for about £7.

Screwfix sell generic backing pads for £3, sets of 10 reinforced sanding discs for £5 and Bosch flap discs for £5.

I like my face the way it is, so my question is, are the cheapo Screwfix ones of good enough quality not to fly apart. Also, would I be better with a flap disc or sanding pads for rust removal?

blakep82

posted on 28/12/14 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Flap disc! Always flap discs. I don't buy grinding stones anymore, just flap discs
Flap discs

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cliftyhanger

posted on 28/12/14 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Sanding discs better for rust removal, flap discs excellent for tidying up welds etc. The backing pads are just nylon, cheap ones should be fine. And I have been using cheapish sanding discs for years, they wear a little faster, and shred just the same as teh more expensive ones when you catch an edge.
For light rust removal Strip and Paint Rust Removal Angle Grinder Disc 115MM dia x 22 mm type discs are brilliant (that was just the first one that came up, many other brands/prices available)

Wire brushes for the grinder are also a very economical way of prepping steel, finish off with a strip disc to get a mint finish. Wire brushes need a full face visor though, cheap enough and much better than goggles. the bits of wire tend to fly off and embed themselves in you if you are not wearing the right clothing!

Slimy38

posted on 28/12/14 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I have to admit, I tend to spend a bit more on flap discs, I've had a couple of unbranded and they wear a lot faster than branded ones. Having said that, the weaker unbranded ones are a little less aggressive (even with the same grit!), so there is still a place for cheap ones.

I've found sanding discs will clean surface rust, flap discs can remove metal. I've actually profiled some of the end joints with a flap disc, up to 5mm or so of solid metal. You have to be really careful if you're only planning to remove surface rust.

I have also got a twisted wire brush, but I don't seem to get on with that very well. It'll do the job, but it won't leave such an even finish as a sanding disc or flap disc. Which I guess ties up with what cliftyhanger says about it needing finishing for a good finish.

rusty nuts

posted on 28/12/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
If using a wire brush in an angry grinder at waist height invest in a leather welding apron , wires imbedded in the tackle hurt! A full face mask from somewhere like tool station is a good idea as well . If you haven't used one before take it easy and hold tight when switching on , the initial torque reaction can be a bit fierce
Dooey99

posted on 28/12/14 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
all i ever use is 1mm cutting discs and flappy discs.

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

Mikef

posted on 29/12/14 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Plus one for above. Have a look at TradeToolShop.com some good deals at very competitive prices.

http://www.tradetoolshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=grinding+discs

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.