Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting holes in carbon
greavesy7

posted on 20/1/15 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting holes in carbon

What's the best way to cut holes in a carbon dash ?
daniel mason

posted on 20/1/15 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I usually use a holesaw pilot bit (6mm) to drill. Then put the pilot in the required holesaw and drill it with the drill in reverse! Tape the area first!
twybrow

posted on 20/1/15 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Cover the area in masking tape, and then cut from the finished side. It will splinter as your blade/drill bit exits, so best to have that on the rear. In terms of what tool, hacksaw with a fine blade work well, but tungsten carbide works best (tile saw blade for a jigsaw). Diamond wheels, or just a small Dremmel disc will also make a nice cut, but lots of dust. It really depends upon how much you need to cut. Make sure you wear a dust mask!
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 21/1/15 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Finished one this morning, so took a photo for you.

I cut the dash shape out using a carbide blade in a jigsaw. Masking tape to protect the surface.
I have a cheap crap vibrating B+D DIY jigsaw, yours will be smoother, more accurate.

Holes are then made with a standard HSS hole saw, 80mm and 52mm. I run them in the 'correct' direction, gently.
I do have a solid pillar drill to do this, so the job is easy, quick and looks great.

[img]
[/img]

James

posted on 28/1/15 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

[img]
[/img]

Are you a dentist?

Nice work btw!

[Edited on 28/1/15 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.