Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any ideas ?
karlak

posted on 4/2/15 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Any ideas ?

So, after a delay in the conversion to Duratec from Pinto and other changes to the MK Indy, I am finally on the last straight

However, have an issue with the bonnet. As you can see from the pictures, the bonnet has been cut for the Jenvey Filter and Throttle bodies. This leaves the rather awful home-brew black scoop which the original builder fitted. It was originally put in to allow clearance for the Carb.

Anyway, I would obviously like to remove it and make the bonnet look as good as I can. It will leave a load of rivet holes (reckon he had shares in a rivet company) and also a hole that was cut in the bonnet to allow clearance, probably 10cm x 15cm. Just wondering if anyone has resolved a similar issue and made good. I guess some sort of bonnet decal would be an option, if it didn't look like it was put there just to cover holes in the bonnet.

Cheers

Description
Description

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

JC

posted on 4/2/15 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
How about cutting a symmetrical hole the other side and mesh backing it like a Westfield fw400/roadrunner sr2? The rivet holes could be covered with edge trimming in that case.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 4/2/15 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
fill holes and wrap the hole bonnet in a different colour - carbon if it floats your boat, matt black/anthracite or hope to match a yellow.

Mistral Motorsport

bi22le

posted on 4/2/15 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
When i made my filter go through the bonnet the previous hole was to big and the wrong shape. I made a plate up that hides and reshapes the hole. I carbon wrapped it the plate.

The obvious answer is to buy a new bonnet as will i but i was happy with this solution long term.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

karlak

posted on 4/2/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
When i made my filter go through the bonnet the previous hole was to big and the wrong shape. I made a plate up that hides and reshapes the hole. I carbon wrapped it the plate.

The obvious answer is to buy a new bonnet as will i but i was happy with this solution long term.

I think a temporary less ugly solution could be the answer until I can afford to get a new bonnet. I am a little concerned about the yellow colour match on a new bonnet as well.

Do you have any photos showing your "fix" ?

Cheers

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

mark chandler

posted on 4/2/15 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
£40 sheet of 18swg ali, form over some old drain pipe, cut to fit
keithjardine

posted on 4/2/15 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
My pinto to zetec left a bonnet hole to fill..... 10 year old gel coat so a new bonnet colour may not match up.

Ali mesh on the inside for strength

Filled in from the top and sanded back smooth

When it is finished I will go for a black bonnet and nose cone (painted or wrapped).
Total cost so far is around £15 for the materials.

turnipfarmer

posted on 4/2/15 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
If Mark's right about the price of an ally sheet, it's a no-brainer.

You're still going to have to fork out for materials, plus all the time & effort, to end up with something that you may not be happy with long-term.

So +1 for Mark's idea. Speak to the guys nicely, and they might even fold it for you! Save a drainpipe!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.