Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WTD Motorhome
bowood14

posted on 5/2/15 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
WTD Motorhome

Looking for a 4 berth motorhome around 2005- 2008 If anyone knows of anything please let me know Thanks

[Edited on 5/2/15 by bowood14]

bbwales

posted on 6/2/15 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Have a look at Southdowns Motorhome Centre, based by Portsmouth, they have a couple that are trade sales only so are a bit cheaper, we have just bought one from them and we are from North Wales.

Regards

Bob

Wheels244

posted on 6/2/15 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
My mate might be selling one.

Unfortunately his dad has just died and it was his - it's virtually unused.
U2U me if want me to get you the details, your budget etc

Rob

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

bowood14

posted on 6/2/15 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Looking between 18-22k
Wheels244

posted on 6/2/15 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
He's going to send me the details tomorrow.
2 berth
13,800 miles

That's all I know for now.

Build Blog: http://wheels244.wordpress.com/

bowood14

posted on 7/2/15 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks but needs to be 4 berth😀
rusty nuts

posted on 7/2/15 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
He's going to send me the details tomorrow.
2 berth
13,800 miles

That's all I know for now.

I could be interested depending on what it is

wilkingj

posted on 7/2/15 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I CANNOT believe what I am hearing!!!

This is a Locost Builders forum... Build Your OWN!!!
I did, and it took me a year, including a lot of downtime due to my son taking his own life.

You need to Join the Self Build Motor Caravan Club. Its the Motorhome version of Locostbuilders!
All good types like on here with the requisite knowlege of building motor homes.
The Club discounts they negotiated with traders got me my subscription back at least twice over.

Get a decent Van, thats the KEY thing. As a good basic van will last longer.
It seems daunting, and I felt it more so, as I am not a DIY'er at all.
I still managed to end up with a half reasonable van. (see pics below)
Mine cost me £3k5 for the van. Its hard to find a decent Merc Sprinter thats not rusting to death!

I spent another £3k in fitting it out, Most expensive things were a 12v Compressor Fridge at £600 (My luxury item)
However I got most of my stuff from an old caravan off Ebay which was £206. The seating foam if made professionally would cost you £600+.
I sold the water heater and old fridge for £40 each, the gutted caravan chassis for £50 (no one wanted the chassis on here!)
Awning was £400 got a good end of product line deal! (Its a BIG one, so wasnt cheap)

The Insulation and boarding out cost me about £300, but doing this properly is essential to having a good warm (and cool in summer) van.
I got the windows brand new, and tese cost me £900.. Yes good Seitz windows are NOT cheap.
However using a donor caravan saved huge amounts of work and costs. (Sink, £100, Cooker £200, Seat Cushions £5-600, water pump £30, Light fittings and switches £50, Battery charger £90, wiring, piping, etc etc etc...

I cant believe you are even thinking of buying one!
Most of you have nearly all the tools necessary, and the balls to build a car let alone a caravan!

Get on with it.

Shameful PLUG Follows...

LINKY

OK you cant see ALL the forum until you are a paid up member. But you can get a flavour of what its all about.
To Me Its A Locostbuilders for Motohomes, and you all undestand how useful that can be.

Here are some Pics of my build. Like a kit car, I still have a few jobs to do, but its fully useable. Using a Donor caravan saved a lot of money.
Mine had a leaky roof, but was not in an area that affected the bits I wanted out of the caravan.

Its not that hard, and the gray covering, covers up a whole lot of my crappy carpentry. Still.. its solid, and is now stronger than when in the original caravan.

C'Mon guys... You KNOW you can do it.
But do join the SBMCC, as its Locostbuiders in another form, and worth it even if its just for the build time.

PS... Building your own will give you exactly the layout and spec that you want. plus you know how its built and where and what everything is, so if it goes wrong you can fix it without paying an "Expert" Dealer to do it for you!

Insulation and ceiling.
Insulation and cieling
Insulation and cieling

Overhead lockers under construction.
Overhead lockers part built
Overhead lockers part built

Interior, showing the caravan beds / seats.
Almost finished interior.

Cooker and kitchen unit taken from the Caravan in the background on the right.

External shot showing the awning.
Prostor Awning
Prostor Awning

[Edited on 7/2/2015 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Knobs

posted on 7/2/15 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
18K for a 2008 MH are you on Meth ?
rusty nuts

posted on 7/2/15 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Some of us have full time jobs Geoff , by the time I manage to build one with all the other things I have on I'll be too old to drive it
bowood14

posted on 7/2/15 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Knobs
18K for a 2008 MH are you on Meth ?

Not sure what you mean?(the KNOBS) I said 2005-2008 18-22k

Thanks for the replies I brought a very nice one today for the age and price I wanted

wilkingj

posted on 8/2/15 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Some of us have full time jobs Geoff , by the time I manage to build one with all the other things I have on I'll be too old to drive it

True, but I wasnt on it 8 hours a day every day.
I had a lot of downtime last year, but still managed to do little bits.

First time I used the van it was a bit of carpet on the floor and a double airbed, camping stove and a washing up bowl!
Then I got the insulated floor in, and next time out was better... Had fitted carpet by then!
Then it was partly boarded (walls) and wall insulation... That made a huge difference.

Basically I used it whilst I was building it. As long as there was some progress then wife was fairly happy. Namely knowing it was getting done!
All I have to do is one small panel up near the roof, as I run out of plywood.
Then only need to get the water pump fitted somewhere else, and a proper hidden fresh water tank rather than a plastic jerry can, and its more or less finished.

Cant blame you for wanting one finished though, but you will pay for it. Motorhomes seem to retain their price (not necessarily their value!)
The problem with someone elses self build, it that you dont know how well, or good a job they made of it. However there are some very nicely done self builds for very reasonable prices. Like kit cars it cost more to build yourself than its worth afterwards.

Just my 2d's worth

Geoff

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/2/15 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Going to see one next weekend but might just convert a van when I retire
wilkingj

posted on 10/2/15 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hope all goes well.

Geoff

Best Regards
Geoff

owelly

posted on 10/2/15 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I joined SBMCC and found it to be a very 'closed shop'!! A bunch of folks who like to talk a lot and give their own opinion but refused to listen to anyone elses. Prime example: A member asked advise because they could smell gas in the van. It was just after they'd changed the Calor bottle. I suggested that they vent the living space, open any cupboard doors that could contain gas and check the bottle and flex hose for leaks with soapy water. You'd think I'd just told them to pour petrol in the van and look for the gas leak with a blow lamp..... Dozens of replies telling everyone to ignore my dangerous and ridiculous suggestions. The correct, and only way to sort the problem was to contact a Gas Safe engineer. I asked if that was the best solution to someone who was stuck on a remote campsite on a remote Scottish Island. Then I got loads of PMs telling me what an idiot I was. I may be an idiot, but I'm also a Gas Safe idiot!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.