Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec bellhousing
sammundo

posted on 15/3/15 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
zetec bellhousing

Hi all, new to the site and just finishing the chassis build from the original locost book i bought back in 1997. No i haven't been building that long it just took me a while to get started.
I had a few questions but its taken a little while to verify my account which has actually worked out quite well as i've ended up scouring the site and finding the answers i needed along with plenty of solutions to problems i'd not yet found.
Ive been gathering bits over the last few months and have just been given a black top 2 litre zetec from a focus. Ive read up a fair bit on here and zetec inside but am unsure on one thing. Im matching it up to a type 3 box i already have but am unsure on the bell housing. will the type 3 housing match the zetec or will the type 9 housing fit on the type 3 box? Im looking a using it for auto tests and maybe hill climbs so don't really need or want to buy a 5 speed if i don't have to.
Cheers

coozer

posted on 15/3/15 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hello and welcome.

The type 3 box should fit as the bellhousing pattern on a zetec is the same as a crossflow. Only thing that might be a problem is getting a flywheel to fit the crank and under the type 3 bellhousing.

Type 3 gearbox will not fit a type 9 bellhousing.

I'll ask the dudes over on the jago site how to fit it all up.

Steve

PS: whats your location?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

sammundo

posted on 15/3/15 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Steve. That'd be great. I'm a good way off putting it all together but I'd like to start gathering the bits and pieces
I'm in Telford. Shropshire.
Cheers

Paul Turner

posted on 16/3/15 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
The type 3 bell housing will fit but the internals of the box will be a bit weak for a Zetec. Ford never fitted the type 3 on 2 litre Pinto's for that reason.

Suggest you get a type 9 or if you really want a 4 speed a type E.

[Edited on 16/3/15 by Paul Turner]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.