Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are vinyl arch protectors any good?
Irony

posted on 23/3/15 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Are vinyl arch protectors any good?

As title really. Do vínyl arch protectors actually work or will the arches just get damaged underneath the vinyl by larger stones? I have access to a vinyl cutter etc and could do some very easily.
austin man

posted on 23/3/15 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
I would say no good the arches will probably crack beneath the covers I fitted aluminium to mine and these have taken a battering

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

steve m

posted on 23/3/15 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Try wearing a cling film visor on a motorbike, and report back in a couple of weeks ?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Ben_Copeland

posted on 24/3/15 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Can't see it helping much. Big or sharp stones will still damage the arch underneath.

I used carbon sheet to protect mine

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Irony

posted on 24/3/15 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Try wearing a cling film visor on a motorbike, and report back in a couple of weeks ?

I was thinking the same actually but this solution would be dead easy for me and some people on here seem to have used them. Guess I am just trying to get out of making ali ones.

leon51274

posted on 24/3/15 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I ran carbon look a like with a clear laminate over the top and it handled it reasonably well although you do need to replace them over time.
aka Keith

posted on 24/3/15 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I run vinyl rear arch protectors, (I may have done double layered - I cannot remember) but they have been on the car for a least 4 years and I have had no probs with them to date. I used to have aluminium on the rear and they started to pit and show the scuffs really quickly so at the moment very happy with the vinyl protectors.
Slimy38

posted on 24/3/15 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I vaguely remember someone mentioning helicopter tape as doing a decent job?
Irony

posted on 24/3/15 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just been through to the print shop and we have some really thick clear vinyl that we lay onto digitally printed floors. I might try two layers of that plus a coloured layer and see what happens.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/3/15 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aka Keith
I run vinyl rear arch protectors, (I may have done double layered - I cannot remember) but they have been on the car for a least 4 years and I have had no probs with them to date. I used to have aluminium on the rear and they started to pit and show the scuffs really quickly so at the moment very happy with the vinyl protectors.

On the lines of your experience stated above:
I would see them as sacrificial.
Thinking out loud they should be:
- Cheap.
- Either fairly pliable and thick to absorb impact or fairly rigid (or very) to withstand impacts without deforming
- Easy to replace.
- Maintain fairly good appearance for given replacement frequency. This last one takes us back to first one.
All of the above subject to personal preference.
HTH others to make selection easy.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.