Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: KH 250/400
probablyleon

posted on 24/3/15 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
KH 250/400

Due to limited space, time and funds this sadly has to go (

It's a '76 KH250 with 400 barrels, heads and pistons (the bottom ends of the two models were identical so no worries about it being overstressed). It currently has the 250 rear sprocket so is quite lively (I'll include a brand new 400 sprocket). The body kit is a fairly well known but rare Dyson. The exhausts are Mick Grant expansion chambers - if you're of a certain age the crackling triple sound will take you right back to the '70's. sounds fantastic! although you'll probably need to find an MOT centre with a good sense of humour. The only advisory on it's last test was 'noisy exhausts'. The rearsets are apparently also Mick Grant.

It's in great condition (currently taxed and MOTd) and was running well at the end of last summer. I fired it up on Sunday (always starts easily) but was only firing on 2. I also noticed that it seemed to be weeping brake fluid from the lever. The original ignition switch will accept any key, I've bought a replacement but have not yet fitted it. The seat on the bike in the photo is a classic 2:4 that I managed to hunt down (at great expense), I have the original but with a bit of fettling the 2:4 will look much better.

I thought I'd offer it up here as is before doing the jobs on it and putting it up on ebay. I'm fairly confident it should go for circa £3k on ebay there so if anyone here's keen to irritate their neighbours I'll part with it as is for £2600

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto&photo=KH%20250.jpg

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

Pojo

posted on 24/3/15 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Boy Oh Boy does that take me back. used have great fun with the Kawasaki triples, my 500 had a crazy narrow power band and a frame made out of bendy metal which roughly kepth the 2 wheels in line and the same distance apart. Brakes that slowly slowed you down but was a kitten compared to my mates 750 triple. great fun, great noise and quiter roads. Guess that qualifies me as saying "the good old days"

Good luck selling, hope it goes to the right enthusiast.

coozer

posted on 24/3/15 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Mmmm, yes, takes me back to Elsie with her allspeeds on.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Pojo

posted on 24/3/15 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
After the KH500 i grew up and went for the suzuki GT750 watercooled with the piper 3 into expansion pipe, what a fantastic noise, dont hear the 2 strokes anymore, kinda miss that.
steve m

posted on 24/3/15 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
The kh250, and the other kawa triples sounded wicked, and the noise alone made them stand out
My Suzuki 380 triple never sounded that good, and was rather disappointing

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

r1_pete

posted on 24/3/15 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
The KH range were too new for me to afford as a teenager, after a couple of T250 Suzukis I had a Kawasaki S2 350, about the same performance as the 400 but with a drum front brake

Still have it and might even rebuild it when I retire......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 24/3/15 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Before I got the allspeeds on the 3nifty I cut the standard exhausts in half, removed two discs with tiny holes in them from the main body, made a couple straight through baffles for the ends and boy what a racket they made!

However the allspeeds had a loverly ring ting ting..

After that had a z1000 with a Laser 4-1. After a little slide down the road the end of the exhaust was flattened. Bummer. To fix that I just cut it off so the pipe was only about 12" long.. then the baffle wouldn't fit so that was that, an open short 4-1 and the noise on the overrun was fantastic!

I know you wouldn't get away with it these days but I had some fun on it!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Leyther

posted on 25/3/15 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
KH400

Tempted !
probablyleon

posted on 26/3/15 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
You know it makes sense 😃

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.