Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4AGE Blacktop 20valve Running issues
reardriveautos

posted on 30/3/15 at 01:40 AM Reply With Quote
4AGE Blacktop 20valve Running issues

Hi Guys,

Just looking for a bit of help as I seem to be out of ideas now and this is starting to get frustrating as I'm sure you'll have had this at least once or twice...

I have a Blacktop 20v 4age in a AE86... Its a converted car which I have purchased and am now trying to iron out all the BUGS!!

It's got a couple of issues,

1st of all it has 250psi of compression.... Does anyone see me having any issues with this? Is so what?

2nd it has a flat spot through the rev range, I have been thru the ECU wiring and everything seems to be ok..

Fuel pressure is at 38psi

I have removed TODA cam gears and refitted factory gears to eliminate them being out and from what I could tell the inlet cam was advanced 1 tooth with the TODAs fitted.... Idle seems to be better but flat spot is still there. Cam timing is spot on..

When cranking to start it, it has that high compression sound or like a slight hydraulic-ing type sound before it starts, I have set IGN timing to 10 deg BTDC.

Also engine gets very hot. Exhaust temps at the head at idle are 300 degrees and top and bottom radiator hoses seem to warm up very quickly to what I'm used to... Would this have anything to do with the cooling system not being run correctly with the water paths not being channelled at the back of the cylinder head correctly? I am looking at purchasing through SQ Engineering there RWD Cooling system conversion parts for this issue... But any advice would be great.

Thanks heaps Guys appreciate your comments.

Nickp

posted on 30/3/15 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
250psi is a lot of compression. Do you know what's been done to the engine? HC pisions? Cams?
If its static CR has been increased significantly, which it sounds like it has, then it really needs longer duration cams or its dynamic CR will go through the roof on std cams.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.