Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: End of the road for diesel cars?
britishtrident

posted on 30/4/15 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
End of the road for diesel cars?

Following the latest supreme court judgement looks like diesels cars will be taxed off the road to reduce NOx and particulate pollution.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 30/4/15 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Shame it will also affect all modern diesels that use Adblue, which actually reduces NOx by 80-90%...
David Jenkins

posted on 30/4/15 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I was reading something the other day that described how some scientists have managed to make a diesel-like fuel from atmospheric CO2 & solar power - I wonder how the scare-mongers will deal with that when it becomes commercially viable! (if it does)

Linky

[Edited on 30/4/15 by David Jenkins]

MikeRJ

posted on 30/4/15 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I was reading something the other day that described how some scientists have managed to make a diesel-like fuel from atmospheric CO2 & solar power - I wonder how the scare-mongers will deal with that when it becomes commercially viable! (if it does)

Linky

[Edited on 30/4/15 by David Jenkins]

The Fischer–Tropsch process was invented in the mid-1920s, so there's nothing really new here. Possibly some process improvements I guess.

jacko

posted on 30/4/15 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Adblue is horrible stuff we use it at work it rots aluminium and electric cables and if you spill it on concrete it goes like crystals we call it pig piss
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
morcus

posted on 30/4/15 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I read something in a car magazine a few years ago that too many cars were in the lower tax brackets and that we were going to have changes anyway.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

obfripper

posted on 30/4/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
They'll have to ban all the DI petrols to go with it, their particulate emissions are worse than the diesels, and are directly absorbed through the skin due to being smaller than the diesel particulates, and also have high NOx levels when running lean stratified combustion.
Burning wood is to become a no-no with its particulate emissions accounting for over a third of worldwide particulate emissions.

In reality, there will be alot of industrial diesel equipment being retrofitted with adblue and particulate filter systems, a few old bangers taken off the road sooner than expected, but don't expect the enviromental groups to highlight the woodburning emissions to the supreme court any time soon!

A modern diesel with DPF and SCR setup has zero particulate emissions, and extremely low NOx and SO2, so will be unaffected by any of this, having a barbecue is more likely to be banned first.

Dave

snapper

posted on 30/4/15 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well the BMW 330 M coupe I want to buy has not dropped in price
YET

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Volvorsport

posted on 30/4/15 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
currently in London reducing the emissions of said London buses fitting SCR systems.

WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOX.

airplanes make more nox , as does electricity generation and heating peoples homes .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Slimy38

posted on 1/5/15 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
currently in London reducing the emissions of said London buses fitting SCR systems.

WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOX.

airplanes make more nox , as does electricity generation and heating peoples homes .

yep, but as always vehicles are easy targets... despite their impact being much smaller percentage-wise.

mcerd1

posted on 1/5/15 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I've always wondered how cars with carbs do on NOx and particulates etc... but I never found any reliable figures

My old 106 barely registered on the CO and HC tests (0.1% and 3ppm) and it could do 65mpg on the motorway - not bad for a 1992 car with single choke carb and 4 gears

-

femster87

posted on 1/5/15 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport

WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOX.

Thing is you can abate the NOx from combustion plants. Some of them run at levels significantly lower that what the EA sets. You cannot do much with cars

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.