Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fixing radiator core
T0MMY

posted on 20/5/15 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Fixing radiator core

My Vortx has developed a coolant leak from the radiator due to part of the fan cowling touching the core and gradually grinding down the flat aluminium tubes until one has a tiny hole:

Simple question: Is there any way at all to repair this or do I need a new radiator? I was wondering about just crimping it shut, maybe after putting some kind of epoxy or liquid metal in the crack to help it seal but I fear it wouldn't work. Any other ideas?

luke2152

posted on 20/5/15 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Jb weld will do it. Just be pedantic about cleaning and roughening the surfaces first.
SteveWalker

posted on 20/5/15 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Lumiweld sticks should work well.
T0MMY

posted on 20/5/15 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps. I might pinch it closed first then use something like that on it.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 20/5/15 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Crimping it shut and folding onto itself ahold suffice.
That's how ointment tubes are sealed...
Or so I think...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 21/5/15 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but what is the operating pressure inside an ointment tube?

How much for a new radiator and how much to rebuild the engine?

Those figures should point to how to deal with it.

I would suggest trying lumiweld, aluminium solder. Then doing gradually longer journeys to see if it holds?..... but do you really want to be driving wondering if on this journey the radiator fails???

T0MMY

posted on 21/5/15 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
If the repair fails it would only leave a hole as big as what was already there so I wouldn't see catastrophic coolant loss. In fact if I pinch it shut first it would be even smaller. Also I could smell it instantly when it started leaking as I was going along so I don't think I would be caught unaware if it did leak.

I think it's worth risking a repair but I haven't priced up a new rad yet as I'm not sure what rad it is exactly. If it turns out to be very cheap to replace then I'll go that route.

02GF74

posted on 21/5/15 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ i agree. Worth chancing it, do you have coolant level sensor.

T0MMY

posted on 21/5/15 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
No I don't but as I say, with no windscreen, doors or roof I could smell it instantly when it started leaking so I think I'll know if the repair fails.

I'd still like to identify the rad and price up a replacement though. It might be a Polo one from the size but it doesn't look like ones I've seen on google.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 21/5/15 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Yes but what is the operating pressure inside an ointment tube?

How much for a new radiator and how much to rebuild the engine?

Those figures should point to how to deal with it.

I would suggest trying lumiweld, aluminium solder. Then doing gradually longer journeys to see if it holds?..... but do you really want to be driving wondering if on this journey the radiator fails???

Good points.
I suggested the fix based on my OCD that makes me try to straighten every ointment tube that has been crushed haphazardly.
I would extract as much air as possible, close the tube an ouch it against a hard surface to remove wrinkles.
I am pretty sure pressure rises to quite a few PSI. I would think more than what cooling systems see...
No tube has failed me on the fold.
Radiator tube is more substantial so I'd think it'll hold better.
I've done things worst than that and yet to waste an engine for lack of cooling or lubrication.
Not that you or the OP should.

What really needs to be done is fixing the interference between the fan blades and radiator core to prevent this from happening again.
Yo could use old radiator for testing and once clearance is satisfactory, install new one or properly repaired radiator.
Canceling a few lines was done back in the days on radiator cores on boats and cars here on my hometown with no adverse side effects.
This was because we were kind of isolated on this small island in the southern Gulf of Mexico.
Best regards.
Angel Acevedo

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T0MMY

posted on 21/5/15 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
It shouldn't happen again as the issue was that 2 of the clips holding the fan had slipped slightly so it leant into the radiator. I'm going to put cable ties round all of them so they can't move again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.