Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Messed up rear suspension geometry?
Slimy38

posted on 26/5/15 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Messed up rear suspension geometry?

I mocked up my rear suspension yesterday. I have welded bottom brackets, fully built wishbones, but the top brackets are yet to be welded on. Clamping everything in place according to the measurements and I'm about 3mm out of position (front to back in relation to the car). So as I lower the front wishbone in place, the top hats are in line with the bracket edge. If I push them in place, they're slightly out of line with the brackets.

I suspect what's happened is that I've mismeasured the MX5 uprights, and the top wishbone is slightly out of position. However, since the top brackets are the only things not built up, I was wondering what would happen if I simply moved them back a couple of mm to line up?

I can absolutely see that if I did the same on the front I'd be effecting the caster angle, does caster apply to the rear suspension? Even if it does, since I'm not moving the rear upright (only the inbound suspension end) is it changed? Is there anything I need to consider if I do move the brackets back a bit?

I'll post a picture later which should make it a bit clearer.

DIY Si

posted on 26/5/15 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
For 3mm, it'll be fine to just move the brackets backwards a bit. Caster only really has any effect on steering, so unless you've built in some rear steer you'd never know the difference.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.