Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra front hubs on tiger locost
ian

posted on 11/10/02 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
sierra front hubs on tiger locost

could anyone tell me how i could use my sierra front hubs on tiger locost instead of cortina ones tiger said it would take a major re-design.
John

posted on 11/10/02 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ian,

It is quite possible to use Sierra front hubs but you will need a special insert to allow the top ball joint to fit and an alternative lower ball joint with taper mods to hub.

I asked the same question on a posting currently 23 below this. If you take a look at it you should find plenty of helpful info from Simon and others.

John.

Working on a CVH 1.8 engined Locost. Hoping to use as much as possible of Sierra donor. £210 left.

interestedparty

posted on 12/10/02 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
The problem here is not the insert but the design of the sierra hubs. The top wishbone is going to need to be shorter.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Dunc

posted on 12/10/02 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
John's right, it's not just a case of connecting the wishbones to the chassis and upright. The suspenion geometry is crucial for good handling. The position of the ball joints on the upright is pretty much fixed but the mounting points on the chassis can be varied and so can the track width. But this is not usually changed because folk don't tend to change the steering rack.

Might be a good idea to have a secret file section where pdf's of some of the suspension geometry books can bs scanned and stored. Bossman?

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/10/02 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I second the last idea, we really could do with a data resource section where all kinds of verrified information could be stored, such as geometry information, axle ratio's, track dimensions etc.
I am sure we would all contribute info relating to our own builds to help other following in the same vein.
I am sure it would help all the new builders not making the same c*ckups that I am sure we have all made!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.