Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 Oil Leak - IVA
Irony

posted on 24/7/15 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 Oil Leak - IVA

My Rover V8 has a bit of a oil leak. You leave it over night and they is a 50p patch of oil on the floor. I think its coming from the sump pan seal. I did buy a new cork gasket and fitted to the instructions. I have tried tightening the sump bolts as best I can with the car on the ground. I ideally need to get the engine crane from the shed and lift the whole car to get underneath properly.

I have my IVA on the 10th of Aug and I heard some people have failed because of a leak. I thought that Rover V8s leaked from the factory!!!! It was Rovers anti rust policy!!!

Any thoughts???

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 24/7/15 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
well, mine was leaking all over the shop - after I didn't have enough venting for the crank / head.

It looked like it was leaking from the sump, but actually was running round from a loose bolt on the oil pump. worth checking elsewhere. can't comment on if IVA will complain.

oh i did hylomer blue my sump gasket on all round.

also, sure there is no leave from the valley ends?

getting close now! another v8

Irony

posted on 24/7/15 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Xtreme
well, mine was leaking all over the shop - after I didn't have enough venting for the crank / head.

It looked like it was leaking from the sump, but actually was running round from a loose bolt on the oil pump. worth checking elsewhere. can't comment on if IVA will complain.

oh i did hylomer blue my sump gasket on all round.

also, sure there is no leave from the valley ends?

getting close now! another v8

It may well be coming from a bolt somewhere. You just can't really get under the car without lifting it with a engine crane.

I pale when I think how much extra the V8 has cost me (twin exhausts, twin ignition setups etc) and how much the fuel is going to cost. But even on the couple of under 2.5K mini test drives I've done it sounds fabulous. All that extra money doesn't matter. I can't wait to hear it a 5K.

I have watched your rolling road vids with envious ears many times now.

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 24/7/15 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
hey hey - worth every penny, and you can show off, saying along with cost, it took twice as much skill to put together :-)

it gets scary at 5.5 - 6k, dared to take it to 6k last night (not in 5th I might add!) and it sounded like the world was falling into me! or something equally as dramatic!

andrew.carwithen

posted on 24/7/15 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Could be worth looking around the oil pressure sender where it screws into the oil pump (assuming its not a 4.6 with internal pump) I've got a leak on my 3.9 RV8 which only appears overnight as a weep on the floor after I've cranked the engine over every few weeks or so. I've traced it to the union on the oil pump for the sender.
mark chandler

posted on 24/7/15 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Landrover used rubber sealant on leaking sumps after around 1991, get some Wurth sump sealant, throw away the cork and follow the instructions, decent bead leave to cure for 1/2 hour then bolt up evenly.

Do not use silicon as it will go manky !

kingster996

posted on 24/7/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Mine passed with a minor leak. I didn't realise until inspector pointed it out.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

stevem427

posted on 24/7/15 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
If a RV8 dosent leak, it means its empty lol. Mine had a small leak, turned out it was the oil pump gasket. Changed that and it has been fine.
turbodisplay

posted on 25/7/15 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
On the 3sgte engine the sump is actually attached using rtv sealant. When I used the cork gasket in a pattern seal kit it leaked.
So sealant is a possible alternative for the sump.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.