Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bodywork welding where there was lead
Dale

posted on 13/8/15 at 04:12 AM Reply With Quote
bodywork welding where there was lead

I am using the rear end/trunk from an mgb on the back of my car. Where it will be welded to a 1x1 inch tube across the bottom the metal from the mgb has a seam that has been folded and welded, I cut out a 1 inch square so it could be placed flat against the tube and then weld a piece in over it hole cut.
The problem is as i found when cutting it out the seam is filled with lead, I have melted most of the lead out of the area i am to weld but not sure what to do as if i weld the patch over the spot the seam above it will be melting out. I may be able to mig the sides where there is no lead and solder the part where the lead is but not sure.
Any Ideas on how to proced here.
Thanks
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

r1_pete

posted on 13/8/15 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
You could try Cold Front Weding Putty, it is supposed to absorb heat and prevent distortion etc. on thin panels.

If you weld in short bursts you may get away with minimal lead melting.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
benchmark51

posted on 13/8/15 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
I had issues with lead when replacing rear wings on an E type. The lead was only a filler used before better, lighter and easier products were around. I would remove it, do the neccesary work and substitute it using lightweight polyester filler. Years down the line and the E-type is fine.
Dale

posted on 13/8/15 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks
I have removed it up to a certain area and will likely have to remove about 6 inches of the lead above each weld. Propane tourch clears it out reasonably fast (with the resperator on and good ventalation)
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

benchmark51

posted on 13/8/15 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Your wise to take precautions with lead, it's nasty stuff. Can be absorbed through the skin too.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.