Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Goodridge fuel hose / connectors
BenB

posted on 23/8/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Goodridge fuel hose / connectors

So my Locost is back on the road and I'm getting annoyed by the rich running at low rpm / high signal. If I floor it, it bogs down before clearing its throat and launching. When motoring on the motorway the rich running gets a bit expensive!

So the EFI install is back on. During my recent garage move I was amazed at the mass of expensive shiny shiny bits I'd accumulated (fancy swirl pots, fuel pressure regulators, brand new sets of injectors etc). Not to mention the wide band Innovate lambda set up... And the obligatory Mini supercharger....

So it's all go for the EFI conversion. I'm going to run a Facet silver top competition from the tank to the swirl pot with a proper return line to the tank but for the HP stuff I'm not sure I fancy plain fuel hose and jubilee clips. I'm thinking fancy (read expensive) Goodridge threaded connectors and (possibly PTFE) hose. For peace of mine obviously- not for the

Are these (braided anodised Goodridge hoses) easy to make up? Am I better off getting them made up for me? I don't want to move from one failure method to a more expensive failure method

[Edited on 23/8/15 by BenB]

Theshed

posted on 24/8/15 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
The hoses are a doddle to make. Use a cutting disk to cut the hose wrapped in masking tape and watch some you tube videos. There are a few different types. Some have olives and use teflon lined hose. Others have no olives and use rubber hose. Real Goodrich or Aeroquip bits are serious money. There are two UK e-bay suppliers who do copies. I confess that I have stooped to buying even cheaper copies from Hong Kong. I have carefully inspected these ant apart from variations in anodising they seem good (not tested under pressure yet my car is still at the decorative stage).
BenB

posted on 24/8/15 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Good to hear they're easy. They are expensive but recently the quality of chinese knock-offs seems to have gone downhill. Looking to prevent a fire not cause one. But thanks for confirming they're easy to make up- won't bother with Merlin's custom service. ......
Mr C

posted on 24/8/15 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
They are a bit tricky to assemble without the right tools though doable, usually your fingers get the brunt of it, at worse a fitting may be damaged. There are tools that feed the braid in to the fitting without resorting to stabbing yourself with a screwdriver. They also allow the hose to be adjusted to the right depth to ensure a good seal.

Soft Jaws are available in composite materials, which are designed to grip the fittings without damage freeing up a hand or two. Alloy spanners are also advisable which are less likely to damage the anodising and fitting when tightening.

I'm using the fittings from Motorsports Tools (image below) on my current project, I'm not compromising on assembly as it increases the chances of failure and defeats the point of buying expensive fittings in the first place.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.