Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: iva wing mirrors with indicators / brake lines
andrew_s

posted on 16/9/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
iva wing mirrors with indicators / brake lines

does anyone have a pair of iva wing mirrors with indicators that I could beg, borrow or swap for beer tokens to fit an MNR Vortx that will get me through the IVA

I do have a set of the very small repeaters, so if anyone can recommended a pair of mirrors that I could mount these in with a hollow shaft to run the wires down that's also an option

IVA is booked for the 1st and this is one of only two outstanding things.

I could mount the indicators in the front wings (anyone got a picture of the best location) but its being recommended to put them in the wing mirrors

is it ok to cable tie the brake line flexi to the wishbone at the front or does it need something more substantial ?

thanks in advance for any answers

CosKev3

posted on 16/9/15 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you 'pig tail' the brake lines to avoid having to attach them to wishbone at all?

As for mirrors I've not seen any aftermarket ones with built in indicators that will pass IVA,they don't have the rear vision required.

kingster996

posted on 16/9/15 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it's allowed to cable tie to wishbones on the front, but as Kev said , put a curl or pigtail in the line, that got me through.

[Edited on 16/9/15 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

jelly head

posted on 17/9/15 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
MNR have a set they might lend you if you ask.

i got through with a 'pig tail' in my lines too.

Lander

posted on 17/9/15 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I think you need to avoid brake flexis touching the wishbones at all, hence the pig tailing.
Ian

andrew_s

posted on 17/9/15 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies

can you clip the brakeline to the wishbone with something like this (I will try pig tails but if it fails on them want a second option)

5x Lockable Pipe Hose Cable Electrical Wiring Holder

MNR's mirrors are all in use :-) Chris said he would send me some pics, just waiting

these are the mirrors I have got

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/carbon-effect-stalk-mirror

will they get through IVA ? - I am going to see if i can mount the indicators on them this weekend somehow, the dims seem to imply they are complaint, just want to be sure as I am running out of time to get things done

thanks in advance for any thoughts

ianm67

posted on 17/9/15 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
[quotethese are the mirrors I have got

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/carbon-effect-stalk-mirror

will they get through IVA ? - I am going to see if i can mount the indicators on them this weekend somehow, the dims seem to imply they are complaint, just want to be sure as I am running out of time to get things done

thanks in advance for any thoughts

CBS normally state on their website whether a product is IVA compliant. In this instance they haven't...... Make of that what you will.....

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

jelly head

posted on 17/9/15 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you do stick some indicators on your mirrors you'll need to come up with a way of routing the wiring so it looks like a permanent
installation, ie not just running around the outside.

posted on 18/9/15 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
I drilled holes in my cheap crap mirrors and used Araldite to glue trailer marker lights in,
then used a black permanent marker to cover the glue.

The stems weren't hollow, so as you can see in the second pic the wire runs under the stem.
I've got to admit, they were bright. They really lit up my eyes in the dark.

They look shite amateur (IMHO) and as soon as they passed IVA I took them off and fitted
my Mitsy repeaters back on, together with bullet mirrors.

Cheers
Paul G

Description
Description

Description
Description

andrew_s

posted on 18/9/15 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the replies

I have decided after much thought that i am going to put them in the rear arches -- i dont want to but it seems the best - mainly i dont like it aesthetically, but ultimately I want it to pass and it will be permanent - however Paul has got me thinking now - however if i stick them on that means another set of mirrors to buy afterwards

i checked cbs website none of the mirrors say IVA complaint anymore

quick question on front indicators

i need to extend these to be within x mm of the side of the car. (need to check the regs for the dim) I am planning to use plastic electrical conduit tube to extend them - will i get away with that ?

I am guessing you sold your mirrors Paul G - i saw your post come and go....

ianm67

posted on 18/9/15 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew_s
i checked cbs website none of the mirrors say IVA complaint anymore

They do, you just have to check the description for each type of mirror. For example:

Fully IVA compliant, even if they're the widest point on the car. Cast alloy base and arm with notched swivelling lower joint.

Spherical upper joint on arm. Mirror size 137mm x 86mm. FLAT glass. Base hole centres 105mm. Satin black powder coated finish.

CATERHAM STYLE MIRROR #M13CAT

SOLD AS A PAIR

andrew_s

posted on 18/9/15 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
yes your right 5 out of 43 are IVA complaint - I tried their search and iva section previously both didn't return anything and checking a large sample of them didn't, but checking all 42 I can see 5 do - just they are all not for me, but I might have to get something to get past iva

Looks like I will need to check for at least an e mark and the glass size tonight

thanks

posted on 18/9/15 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andrew_s
thanks for the replies

I have decided after much thought that i am going to put them in the rear arches -- i dont want to but it seems the best - mainly i dont like it aesthetically, but ultimately I want it to pass and it will be permanent - however Paul has got me thinking now - however if i stick them on that means another set of mirrors to buy afterwards

I am guessing you sold your mirrors Paul G - i saw your post come and go....

No, I still have them.

You came online the morning after but didn't mention them so I assumed they were not to your liking.
You only get a certain time to edit a post and I didn't want them "permanently for sale", so I removed them.

There is a max length from front of car to repeater so on my car the rear arch was a no no.
I also have some led strips that I did think to put on the front mudguards. Wiring would be too much hassle.

Dennis, the inspector at Norwich, said fit repeaters in the mirrors. That's what I did in the end.
Don't have to be E marked, just need to fit an oblong card (size is in the IVA download) on the glass. This is why
my round bullet mirrors would have failed.

Who cares now.

Paul G

[Edited on 18/9/15 by 907]

ianm67

posted on 18/9/15 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I bought these:

http://furoreproducts.co.uk/mirrors/85-e-marked-mirrors-iva-ok.html

Really nice quality and IVA compliant. Cheap enough to buy and sell on again after you've passed and they 'fall off' the car

andrew_s

posted on 18/9/15 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
having looked all afternoon I think I will go with the arches, car is short enough after a quick check last night (2600mm)

the issue Paul was - will I have to drill another hole I didn't want to- was on the train easy to read - hard to reply in the squash

I will get those ones, for 14 quid I am beyond caring I just want it to pass, time is very limited for me - so the more I can do to be sure the better :-) I would use more then 14 quid in fuel going for the retest

thanks

posted on 18/9/15 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I understand about the extra holes.

My black plastic ones have 2 holes, o o thus. With one for the wires it becomes 3, ooo

My bullets have 2, o o , so they fitted and covered the now redundant middle hole.

My only reservation with a single nut fitting is that if they get knocked they spin and undo.

On old motorbikes the left mirror would undo when you got to a certain speed due to wind resistance,
then a smartarse came up with the idea of a left hand thread on that side and right hand on the other.

Good luck with your test
Paul G

andrew_s

posted on 21/9/15 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Paul, lets hope so, not much time left for final sorting

mirrors ordered, indicators mounted on the arches on the weekend - just wiring to finish off, steering wheel - well I am still not sure about that, I fitted the crash pad I made but it looks terrible - front indicators - almost made the extension tubes, I am using 20mm electrical conduit and hoping that will be good enough

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.