Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lightened Flywheel Fasteners
l5tuy

posted on 5/10/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Lightened Flywheel Fasteners

Evening All,

Recently purchased a lightened flywheel from MX5Parts however when trying to install realised a problem, the existing OEM bolts that attach the clutch cover to the flywheel were a different thread to the MX5parts flywheel. It looks like the new flywheel is a course thread and the OEM is fine, diameter is the same. Phoned MX5parts who stated both should be the same hence not supplying new bolts.

Anyone had similar problems in the past?

Stuart

mark chandler

posted on 5/10/15 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cover bolts do not have to be fine thread, just use some 8.8 hardness with thread to match, probably a standard metric thread and locktite in place.

For added confidence I run a lightened flywheel with 9" cover on my DB7 which runs nearly 385hp, 370ft/lb and that's all this car has on a 6 plate paddle clutch which gets plenty of abuse as I sprint it.

The crank bolts are a different matter, lots of force there.

Regards Mark

l5tuy

posted on 5/10/15 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers bud.

The problem I have is the existing bolts don't go into the new flywheels tapped holes, I'm going to nip round to local faster shop tomorrow to gauge the thread and see if they have stock. Bit annoying but hopefully solve the problem.

Cheers

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.