Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Rules for Projections in Footwell?
cloudy

posted on 15/10/15 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
IVA Rules for Projections in Footwell?

Does anyone know the rules for projection testing in the footwell, fore of the dashboard? Does the 150mm height rule split the space?

It's not hugely clear from the IVA manual or the IVA help sheets...

Thanks,
James

www.warnercars.com

gremlin1234

posted on 15/10/15 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
there is a diagram in the iva manual that makes it clear that in this space below 150mm is tested with the 100mm sphere, and above using 165mm sphere.
diagram is annex 2 section 12 of the manual

loggyboy

posted on 15/10/15 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote

Mistral Motorsport

cloudy

posted on 15/10/15 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
That in itself makes sense - but this seems to contradict it, by showing anything above the 150 line is not tested. There's also a dashed line on Annex 2 describing the bottom of dash, but it doesn't mention if that changes the test! Might be missing something here!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-t o-get-a-pass

www.warnercars.com

loggyboy

posted on 15/10/15 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Work to the more lenient guidance and argue should it fail. If its in black and white (or colour in this case!) they cant argue.

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 15/10/15 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Work to the more lenient guidance and argue should it fail. If its in black and white (or colour in this case!) they cant argue.

I sort of disagree. I would work to the latest version of the iva manual, any diagrams elsewhere (even if its still on the dvla website) should be considered out of date. I would expect the tester to consider the manual as being gospel.

loggyboy

posted on 15/10/15 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Manual is older than website though!

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 15/10/15 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote

Then again, looking at the pictures I 'think' they are saying the same thing. The area above 150mm is tested to S12 RS.1, which I assume is the 165mm sphere. The blue areas match up with the exempt area (behind the seats) and whatever is in front of the steering wheel. The dashed line (which in both diagrams is 250mm backwards of the seat cushion) also adds up as being exempt in both diagrams.

loggyboy

posted on 15/10/15 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

Then again, looking at the pictures I 'think' they are saying the same thing. The area above 150mm is tested to S12 RS.1, which I assume is the 165mm sphere. The blue areas match up with the exempt area (behind the seats) and whatever is in front of the steering wheel. The dashed line (which in both diagrams is 250mm backwards of the seat cushion) also adds up as being exempt in both diagrams.

But manual diagrams points to an objects over 150 line that is shown behind the das and says they are accessed with 165 sphere, where as blue shaded area behind dash on the 'guide' states its not accessed! I can understand Cloudys confusion!

[Edited on 15-10-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 15/10/15 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, now I follow. I had just assumed that the blue area is the bit behind the dash, which the IVA manual says is not tested (it's not in that drawing but I'm 99% sure it's in the accompanying text).
gremlin1234

posted on 15/10/15 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
remember the iva is a set of minimum requirements,
just imagine your knee hitting something under the dash, so try to make everything round there satisfy the 100mm sphere requirements.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.