Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Running wiring to cycle wings?
CraigJ

posted on 28/11/15 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Running wiring to cycle wings?

Does anybody have any pics of how they ran indicator wiring to the front cycle wings?

Can the wiring be attached to the wishbones for IVA or does it have to just hang in mid air?

SteveWallace

posted on 28/11/15 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Wires need to be joined to the wishbones at regular intervals and also need to be in some short of sheath. This pic shows where I ran mine for my LED repeaters, which are mounted on the rear of the front wings. Not a very good picture, but you can just about see the wire running along the rear leg of the upper wishbone, down near to the hub close to the pivot point and then out along the wing stay. The wire is held on by small cable ties and is in narrow bore smooth black conduit. Obviously you need to leave enough play to allow for turning the front wheels but running it close to the pivot point reduces how much slack you need.

Description
Description

LBMEFM

posted on 28/11/15 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Would it not be better to have the indicator mounted on the nose cone with the repeater on the body work or built into the mirror therefore removing the necessity to have unsightly wire exposed on the wish bones.

posted on 29/11/15 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for mirror mounted for IVA.

Description
Description

However, I also think that reasonably sized repeaters in the side of the scuttle, even though they fail IVA, are better still.

IMHO, the whole idea of side repeaters is that they are visible from the side. The clues in the name ffs.
Another set of indicators visible from behind is not what's required, and since the most driver vulnerable area of a Seven
is a T-bone from the side I want my indicators seen.

Paul G

CraigJ

posted on 29/11/15 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
Would it not be better to have the indicator mounted on the nose cone with the repeater on the body work or built into the mirror therefore removing the necessity to have unsightly wire exposed on the wish bones.

I would prefer to yes but because of the daft rules of IVA the best way of making sure the repeater is visible is mounting it on the cycle wing. Also the front repeater cant be on the nose cone due to the striker having a 1 peace nosecone/bonnet. It will make it a right pain every time I had to take the bonnet off and trying to unplug wiring at the same time.

SteveWallace

posted on 29/11/15 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM

Unsightly indeed, I thought that I had done mine quite neatly - I could be offended

In all seriousness though, it is a good point, its just that the wide wheel arches on the rear of a Viento means that the front cycle wings are really the only viable option.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.