Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can't drive, bought SWMBO a VW Touran
nick205

posted on 30/11/15 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Can't drive, bought SWMBO a VW Touran

As mentioned before, due to a head injury and the onset of epilepsy I can't drive for the time being. As a result I'm selling my VW Passatt and have just traded SWMBO's Alhambra in and bought her a VW Touran. 57 plate with 77k miles, years MoT and cam belt + water pump done. FVWSH and quite tidy inside, 1.9 TDI S spec - seems OK. With 3 kids we kind of need the 7 seat luxury and it ticks all the boxes.

Anyone had one and got any tips for servicing and general look afters?

Cheers
Nick

cliftyhanger

posted on 30/11/15 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
A friend owned one for about 7 years, and it seemed pretty trouble free. With the exception of a airbag warning light that even the dealers couldn't fix. It would be OK, then pop on, until somebody turned it off. Fault codes were not helpful, and they even soldered the wires direct onto the ecu. Improved things, but still came on intermittently. But I guess those gremlins can affect any car.
Presume no DPF? which is good news.

nick205

posted on 30/11/15 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
From what I saw there is no DPF on the car, which is good for me ans SWMBO.

Another bonus is I've had several 1.9 TDIs and know them well enough + parts sources, which is good.

We also looked at a couple of S-Max's, but IMHO Ford needed some guidance on interior colour schemes in that era!

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 30/11/15 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Currently on the hunt for one myself. Very versatile vehicle with sensible build quality and great pd engine. Good choice
nick205

posted on 30/11/15 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - it took a while to find and there were some crap ones around!

ETA....after the removable but very heavy Alhambra seats, the Touran's fold flat in the floor rearmost seats are very welcome.

ETA2....came close to buying a 1.6 petrol one, but I must admit to quite liking the diesel chug these days.

[Edited on 30/11/15 by nick205]

[Edited on 30/11/15 by nick205]

BigFaceDave

posted on 30/11/15 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I got one for my parents about 5 months ago and so far so good, being 73 my dad didn't want a fast one as we had a test drive a 140bhp and it scared him a bit so ended up going or a 105bhp and every time they do a reasonable amount of mileage in it I get a phone call with a new 'fuel computer game' record I think it's about 61mpg at the minute.

Once all the seats are folded down it does leave you with a reasonable sized van too! Quite a nice drive too

ianhurley20

posted on 30/11/15 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
We've just got rid of the 2.0 diesel Touran seemed good on fuel and go for the last 3 years then started a slow water leak, diagnosed by VW as a leaking EGR cooler and changed for £600, phew, with a report saying all was cured. Not so, water leak carried on at same level as before. VW wanted to take engine apart to diagnose what seems a common problem with the 2.0 diesels, a porous head. Cost 3k ish. Car has been traded in . VW no help at all and didn't want to know.
Thats the last VW we have, ever!

(Lots more I could add but these were the main points)

hizzi

posted on 30/11/15 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
oil is critical in these engines, running the wrong oil causes all sorts of problems and poisons the exhaust, it isnt more expensive just look for the correct spec many makes state vw on them
nick205

posted on 2/12/15 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Well, picked it up today and SWMBO is pleased! It's not fast, but good and steady and clean inside and out.

Pleased with the purchase :-)

britishtrident

posted on 2/12/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hizzi
oil is critical in these engines, running the wrong oil causes all sorts of problems and poisons the exhaust, it isnt more expensive just look for the correct spec many makes state vw on them

Getting the right oil for these needs a great deal of care VAG seem to change oil specs every 2 years.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 3/12/15 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
Originally posted by hizzi

Getting the right oil for these needs a great deal of care VAG seem to change oil specs every 2 years.

Been servicing VAG TDIs for a few years and tend to go with what the sticker under the bonnet says - not had any issues so far!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.