Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY battery charger for sons 'electric car'..?
jps

posted on 4/12/15 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
DIY battery charger for sons 'electric car'..?

Thought there may be someone on here who can lend some advice, my electrical/electronics knowledge goes only as far as Hornby railways and replacing the odd domestic plug socket /etc...

My father-in-law dragged an electric toy car out of a skip for my son, He's got it working by taking a battery out of the electric bike he had.

its like one of these things

Originally it was fitted with 2 x 6v battery cells - wired in series (so that's effectively created 1x 12v battery then?).

It's now working with a 1 x 12v battery from the electric bike.

The bike uses 3 batteries in total - and they are charged in situ in the bike-(i'm assuming the bike runs at 36v and so the charger for the bike can't be connected straight to the single battery that's now in the car).

So we'd like to figure out what voltage/current to apply to the single cell battery in the car - to charge it in place. Hopefully by hacking the plug off an existing charger/power supply and just attaching some crocodile clips...

But how do I work out what current/voltage etc I need to be putting into the battery?!

gremlin1234

posted on 4/12/15 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
short answer,
presuming they are lead acid batteries, any standard 12v charger should work

JAG

posted on 4/12/15 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
We need more details of the battery - a picture or a description etc.... but different types of battery require different types of chargers.

IF you get it wrong there's a chance off destroying the battery

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

nick205

posted on 4/12/15 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Lead acid batteries and Lithium batteries need specific charger types to charge properly and avoid damage.

Some more battery spec would be useful if you have it?

MikeRJ

posted on 4/12/15 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Electric bikes most often use lithium ion batteries, which require very specific and accurate current limited charging voltage. Overcharging lithium cobalt cells (the type most commonly found) presents a serious fire risk, so please don't bodge some random power supply onto it.

If it's a sealed lead acid cell (unusual for electric bike) then a small (~3 amp) car charger could get the job done, though ideally a automatic maintenance type charger would be best.

BenB

posted on 4/12/15 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Something like an Imax B6 charger would do the job nicely but you'ld still need to know what setting to put it on As said you really don't want to get it wrong. Lithium battery fires (particularly chunky ones from electric bikes) can get rapidly out of control.
Canada EH!

posted on 4/12/15 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Lithium batteries are not to be (toyed) with. I fly electric r/c aircraft which use these batteries.
When I looked into a fire extinguisher for these batteries I was told a small one as would be in a race car was $750.00 Cdn or roughly 480.00 GBP.
They burn and supply there own oxygen so are near impossible to extinguish.
As the local fire Captain told me "think about that the next time you leave your cell phone or laptop on the bed to charge".

jps

posted on 4/12/15 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I'll get some pics up when I can - from memory there is a bit of info printed on the batteries.. Cheers guys - i was vaguely aware that batteries should be approached with some care!
Fatgadget

posted on 5/12/15 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It's now working with a 1 x 12v battery from the electric bike. 

The bike uses 3 batteries in total - and they are charged in situ in the bike-(i'm assuming the bike runs at 36v and so the charger for the bike can't be connected straight to the single battery that's now in the car

I work on leccy bikes and what you got is an oldie.That is a SLA gel battery.Its not lion.
I recommend you get an iMax B6 charger.Its versatile and charges all common battery chemistries .And its cheap.iMAX B6 Charger Professional Digital RC Lipo NiMh Battery Balance Charger UK...They require an external 12V> power supply.Your car battery will do!You can also get them with a built in psu for more dosh.Beware though,some of them are knock offs!

jps

posted on 5/12/15 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
ok, it's marked up as a 'sealed lead-acid' battery, with the following printed on it:
Constant voltage charge, voltage regulation (20c)
Standby use: 13.5-13.8 volts
Cycle use: 14.5-15.0 volts
Initial current:4.5a MAX

CSB battery EVH 12150 F2
12v 15Ah

[Edited on 5/12/15 by jps]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.