Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: to chop or not to chop that is the sequel
museumman

posted on 16/12/15 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
to chop or not to chop that is the sequel

I want to modify my Mercedes w124 estate into a pick up by creating a cab partition cab back window etc welding the back doors removing the rest of the roof fit a simple reinforcing frame with roll hoop picking up the rear suspension mounts tidy up any sharp edges but keeping everything else as nature and mercedes intended because its all very well engineered and very very strong.

I presume that I am changing class from passenger car to light commercial and modifying a unitary body there is no separate chassis unfortunately am I right in my presumptions I have spoken to my insurers "motor trade" they just need one of their engineers to look at it when finished.I cant see anything in IVA paperwork covering this is there anyone at VOSA who could give an opinion before I wield the angle grinder.

nick205

posted on 16/12/15 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've considered such a conversion, but the issue I see is that the roof adds quite a bit of stiffness to the monocoque construction. Chopping a good section away will greatly change the vehicle's structure and IMHO make it dangerous if crashed.

Easier to buy a pickup and enjoy it I'd guess.

JoelP

posted on 16/12/15 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see how you can avoid the IVA. It's clearly a radical change to the chassis.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/12/15 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
When you change class DVLA may well get all excited.
And the other thing worth considering is that you may get away with it. However, if things go wrong ie accident, it is only then the police/vosa/insurers etc get VERY interested.
It would be interesting if you could get an engineer to sign the changes off as being "safe" and meeting the requirements. Hope they have good indemnity insurance!

cliftyhanger

posted on 17/12/15 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Q) Why does cutting into a monococque affect the vehicle identity if it retains the same shape /profile as before.

A) Cutting is considered to be modifying the vehicle from its original specification. Any modification to the chassis/monocoque body is considered to render the vehicle no longer original specification or of original identity.

see
http://www.the-ace.org.uk/chassis-and-monocoque-modification/

museumman

posted on 17/12/15 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you everybody for your helpful replies and your time as usual this forum although obviously primarily for builders of locost type vehicles it is the go to place for any vehicle building and modifying questions you guys have always answered no matter how off piste my questions have been big thanks for that.Especially that link cliftyhanger completely brilliant I am following up that information definitely question answered THANKS!!!!!!
nick205

posted on 17/12/15 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Just buy one and be happy

museumman

posted on 17/12/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi nick that would be too easy and why have a boring old cast iron V8 boat anchor when you can have a 500+ horse power 24 valve turbo diesel

I have a 205 with a 300hp dynoed 2 litre in it has a standard gearbox at the moment so have to be a bit careful keeps spitting diff bits out saving up for 6 speed and lsd "NOTE TO SANTA"!!!!!!

just found this on ACE website so it is possible

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/biva-pickup-problems/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.