Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension brackets position
tajgreidotu

posted on 20/12/15 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension brackets position

Hi guys,

I hope you are all good.

Its time for me to get the suspension brackets in place. I've been checking several sources (book, forums etc) for this and I dont know which is the best-correct one. After reading almost all info on here I arrive to 2 options:

1) Low quality image that when I draw it in cad does not catch completely (may be my fault):

2) More documented one from http://locost7.info/, but suspension brackets are 50mm long instead of 48mm as per the book.

http://locost7.info/files/suspension/susp_jig.pdf

Any help or experiences would be appreciated.

Javi

mark chandler

posted on 20/12/15 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Do not over plan this element, the top bone needs to be laid back 5-7 degrees from the lower bone to provide caster for self centreing, the shock ideally needs to point at the lower ballpoint and fit between the legs of the upper bone so build the suspension minus the shock brackets then place in the best location.

Various sites will show the shock landing 2/3rds along, where you get caught out the shock spring fouling on the top wishbone, a smaller shock works better here, I have 2 1/4" springs, in hindsight should of got 1.9". Landing back along the lower bone turns the lower bone into a lever and exerts additional pressure on the brackets.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 20/12/15 by mark chandler]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.