Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starter Problems
xhx4xzx4

posted on 23/12/15 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Starter Problems

Hello everyone,

I have bought myself a Locost Kit Car which is running a MK1 Ford Mexico engine with a INERTIA starter motor, when i replaced it with another INERTIA starter as the old one had died this starter died within a week, so i was wondering if anyone has managed to get one working with a more modern starter as the old INERTIA starters had a separate solenoid but modern starters have pre-attached solenoids. If anyone knows how to wire one up correctly any help would be much appreciated.

britishtrident

posted on 23/12/15 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ford 3 bolt Lucas inertia starters worked fine to make a pre-engage starter or geared pre-engage starter work will require a suitable ring gear on the flywheel.
Pre-engage starters mesh from the front side of the ring gear inertia type from the rear.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

theconrodkid

posted on 23/12/15 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
a lot of ring gears had the chamfer on both sides,makes them idiot proof i spose

as for the wiring,the + to energise the solenoid goes to the small terminal on pre engaged solenoid and the big battery cable to the big terminal on solenoid.

[Edited on 23/12/15 by theconrodkid]

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

xhx4xzx4

posted on 23/12/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, if i can stick with an Interia type starter is their any high compression ones out their as the engine has been bored out to 1700cc and is has a high compression rate
rusty nuts

posted on 23/12/15 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I think you will find the inertia ring gear has 110 teeth whereas the pre engaged has 130? Have a look at the Burtonpower website
xhx4xzx4

posted on 23/12/15 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
The one i am looking at on burton power has 9 teeth and suits a 110 ring gear.
http://www.burtonpower.com/edge-gear-reduction-starter-ford-x-flow-inc-anglia-cortina-1-4kw-cf003-9h.html

So will this one work rusty nuts?

snowy2

posted on 25/12/15 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
the inertia starters are a different ring gear and teeth on the pinion gear....they are not readily interchangeable.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

xhx4xzx4

posted on 25/12/15 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yh i guessed they would be different but the one i linked on burton has everything the same as mine and is stated on their website as a direct replacement.
snowy2

posted on 27/12/15 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
pre engage starter ring gears are beveled differently to inertia starter ring gears.....there will be issues in starting the car sometimes....its easy to swap the ring gear....or live with the inertia starter, they tend to work ok.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.