Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Metallic powder coat for my fury. I have questions ...
FuryRebuild

posted on 27/1/16 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Metallic powder coat for my fury. I have questions ...

Hi All

Has anyone had any experience of metallic powder coats and how they perform?

My much modified fury chassis is going off to be recoated soon, and I was going to go yellow for the chassis and blue for anything that attaches to it. The yellow looks a good contrast to the RAL5005 blue of the car body but then I saw bentley blue metallic powder coat and I got to thinking.

So: Some questions:
1) has anyone had any metallic coating done before - were you happy - did it wear well?
2) If I go for blue for the chassis - any suggestions for a contrasting colour for the bolt-on parts?
3) Any other ideas?

I'm going to have the chassis blasted, cleaned and zinc primered as well, so I shouldn't be suffering any more of the rust that plagued these models.

Let me know what you think

[Edited on 27/1/16 by FuryRebuild]

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

loggyboy

posted on 27/1/16 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK metallics require a 2 stage coating. a base colour then a clear coat with the metallic flake in. So would no doubt cost a little more.
Whether you get an extra protection cuz its 2 layers also?

Mistral Motorsport

FuryRebuild

posted on 27/1/16 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure - I'll ask the experts who do it I expect. The zinc primer layer will also give a strong defence.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

gremlin1234

posted on 27/1/16 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
ages ago I tried some 'chrome' powder coat at home, finish was fine like normal powder coat, but just not chrome!
however, for a test part, I used mixed leftovers of this and black, and gave a really rather nice effect.

FuryRebuild

posted on 27/1/16 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
My new wheels are gunmetal, so I may go for that for all parts bolted onto the chassis.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

russbost

posted on 27/1/16 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've used candy powdercoat with a DIY setup, wasn't a 2 stage process & no harder than ordinary powdercoat to use, but no idea if that differs to a professional setup. The "candy" came out more like just a plain metallic, but still more interesting than plain colour

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Texan

posted on 27/1/16 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I did a 2 stage electric blue powdercoat on a roll bar in my Miata in 2000. It still looks almost perfect.

About 8 months ago I did a 3 stage process of the rims of my S2000 - chrome (which was a lot better than the chromes of just a few years ago), a metallic flake and then a top coat of clear.

Other than where I scraped a curb in a turn it looks absolutely perfect and gives a fabulous look. People are always complementing me on the rims.

I would have no qualms about any of the metallics.

I drive therefore I am.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/1/16 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
May I suggest something with a tad less bling?

At some stage you may wish to repair/modify/inspect parts of the chassis. Any of those processes are a damn sight easier to perform (and touch up afterwards) if the chassis is a solid black.

FuryRebuild

posted on 27/1/16 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Nope - bling all the way.

The chassis has had a very serious amount of mods, and most of the other bits that would be changed are now structural carbon fibre, so there's little to do there. I won't be doing any more for a season or two.

Also, I prefer lighter colours - you can see if oil is leaking much easier than black on black.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

perksy

posted on 27/1/16 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I like that

Shame you won't see more of it on the car

adithorp

posted on 27/1/16 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild

Also, I prefer lighter colours - you can see if oil is leaking much easier than black on black.

...and a lot easier to spot cracks. Ever wondered why so many race chassis are light grey?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

gremlin1234

posted on 27/1/16 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
ages ago I tried some 'chrome' powder coat at home, finish was fine like normal powder coat, but just not chrome!
however, for a test part, I used mixed leftovers of this and black, and gave a really rather nice effect.

too add,
actually, it was a sort of dapple grey rather than 'metallic'

nick205

posted on 28/1/16 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
By coincidence I'm looking to have a steel MTB frame stripped of powder coat and recoated in a different colour. The best information and pricing I've found was from coaters themselves who do it day in day out and know what to do. I'd say speak to a local coater and get advice on the finish you want.

Sam_68

posted on 28/1/16 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Did you see the metallic/pearlescent green powder coated frame that Exo Sports Cars had on their stand at the Autosports show?:

I had a brief chat with them about costs etc.; I can't remember much of the detail, but their frame was definitely done with a two-coat process and they had flyers on the stand for the company that did it. They were suggesting that because it was two-coat, cost is basically double that of 'normal' powder coat, or thereabouts. Might be worth giving them a ring, or dropping them an e-mail, for further info?

gremlin1234

posted on 28/1/16 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68 They were suggesting that because it was two-coat, cost is basically double that of 'normal' powder coat, or thereabouts. Might be worth giving them a ring, or dropping them an e-mail, for further info?
a lot of the cost of powder coating is the 'prep', ie getting it in the workshop,, 'sandblasting' etc, a second coat should not cost that much more

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.