Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exporting to the US?
Dudefladge

posted on 3/2/16 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Exporting to the US?

I realize this isn't really an IVA / Legal question, but this is the closest area I believe this question fits. I've looked through all 4 pages of posts and couldn't find any answers...

Has anyone successfully exported a Locost type vehicle to the US. (or US members imported one)?

I've seen older posts mentioning vehicles being sent to the US, but my searches through the various forums and customs sites hasn't really answered my questions so far.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rob

nick205

posted on 3/2/16 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see why it would be an issue.

I'd speak to a shipping company for first hand advice and costs. Could be costly assuming a container is used for shipping.

prawnabie

posted on 3/2/16 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Be waring of American shippers to, there are many stories about customers basically being held to ransom when they massively increase prices after quoting.
minitici

posted on 3/2/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
"Vehicles entering the United States that do not conform with U.S. safety standards must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed."

I think there are exemptions for 'classic' cars but I have seen cases where Minis and Land Rovers fitted with more modern components were seized and crushed.......

SpencerP

posted on 3/2/16 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
If it's over 25 years old you are typically ok. Anything less forget about it. I imported my MNR kit but it was not a car at that point so other than shipping fees I just paid import duties. US customs was/ is looking over every Land Rover very carefully and crushing anything newer than 25 years, lots of people passing them off as older to try to get around that rule finding themselves in a spot of bother.
skydivepaul

posted on 4/2/16 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
It is very difficult and complicated to export vehicles to the USA
I lived over there and ran a garage in florida in 2008, myself and another locost member Alan B imported a few MK kit cars but these were in kit form, so essentially a container full of metal parts and fibre glass. no problem.

As already mentioned if the car is over 25 years old you have no issue importing a car as it is a classic car........look at the classifieds for 25 year old land rovers as then look at slightly newer models!

if the car is not listed within the approved list of DOT vehicles there are a couple of options open to you >

You can import the car as a competition car. however you will get a title that is for a competition car and NOT for road use.
There is a way around this and you can retitle a car, however I did look into this and even running my own garage the process looked convoluted and not a sure way of getting a car road registered. I did know a fellow who had done this with several TVR's but he did not divulge all his secrets!!

The other way is to import the car less engine, gearbox and tyres.
The US DOT is very stringent on emissions and tyres and these are the things they will knock you back on.
You can send the engine and box crated separately and again I remember if you send them via south africa they can pass customs easier (dont ask me why, it was another trade secret!)

all in all it is complicated and convoluted, which is a bit crazy considering you can register a ford hotrod in most states with a big V8 with no proper exhaust or cats and uncovered wheels!!!

shipping costs vary, you can drive onto a roll on roll off type ship where they tether your car to the deck for around 1K
a shipping container will set you back around 2.5K

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

Dudefladge

posted on 4/2/16 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you very much! It is good to hear from someone with first hand knowledge.

I was aware of the 25 year rule, but I believe that is only for typical production vehicles on the DOT approved list (?)

I don't have an issue with it being for competition use only, but so far in my reading it looks as if you can only import it for 30 days and then the vehicle has to be either exported or destroyed.

It would be really cool to find a Locost type vehicle with a 25+ year old registration to enjoy while I'm here and take it back with me. I especially like the idea of it being right hand drive for more of that original nostalgia feel harkening back to the original.

nick205

posted on 4/2/16 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Might be easier to buy a car over there - cheaper and no worries on importing!

Dudefladge

posted on 8/2/16 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Might be easier to buy a car over there - cheaper and no worries on importing!

It absolutely would be easier.... And cheaper... And smarter...

But then I'd have to wait another couple years! LOL

Angel Acevedo

posted on 1/3/16 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a cheap registered one, trash it, sell for whatever is worth when you go back to the states and buy a US registered locost when you get there.
I also fall in love with my cars, but I have noticed that the new one always is better than the last one... Regardless of type...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.