Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dry Sump for Megablade 919
baslow

posted on 3/2/16 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Dry Sump for Megablade 919

Evening, looking to do my first track day in April and have been told by a few mates that i should be fitting a dry sump. I understand the basics of why i should have one but i'm Newbie so not sure where to start... Can anyone help with the following?

1. How can I tell if one has been fitted?
2. I assume i don't have one fitted so where can i order one from and what sort of cost should they be?
3. Are they easy to fit - not the most knowledgeable so if might be worth paying someone to do it - what would be a rough cost for someone to fit?

I live in Stockport, Manchester so does anyone know of a local garage that deal with westies that could help?

Thanks in advance, Barry.

[Edited on 3/2/16 by baslow]

daniel mason

posted on 3/2/16 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
You'll be fine on a well designed an baffled wet sump with the 919! They are superb little motors!
Ab performance do them in billet alloy I think.

baslow

posted on 3/2/16 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baslow
Evening, looking to do my first track day in April and have been told by a few mates that i should be fitting a dry sump. I understand the basics of why i should have one but i'm Newbie so not sure where to start... Can anyone help with the following?

1. How can I tell if one has been fitted?
2. I assume i don't have one fitted so where can i order one from and what sort of cost should they be?
3. Are they easy to fit - not the most knowledgeable so if might be worth paying someone to do it - what would be a rough cost for someone to fit?

I live in Stockport, Manchester so does anyone know of a local garage that deal with westies that could help?

Thanks in advance, Barry.

[Edited on 3/2/16 by baslow]

Just read thread 14882. Might i just need a baffle plate and oil cooler rather than going for a dry sump?

mark chandler

posted on 3/2/16 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
You want an accusump on it if pressing really hard as well, pull the bung out that the fuel pressure sensor sits in drill out and weld in a 1/2" BSP fitting and bolt up.

Most people get away with baffle plate and 200ml overfill, you only need the billet sump if the engin is hanging low.

[Edited on 3/2/16 by mark chandler]

baslow

posted on 3/2/16 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
So one of these - http://www.abperformance.co.uk/products.aspx?cat=11&scat=32

with a 200ml over fill. The engine is 100mm of the ground so would i need the billet sump?

Not wanting to spend load if i can help it but i don't want to buying a new engine either! Do you think an accusump is necessary or should i try the above first with me being a novice do you think?

Confident i can fir the sump but drilling and welding is not my bag...

cheers Barry

mark chandler

posted on 3/2/16 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
£30 baffle, standard sump 200ml overfill and you should be fine on road tyres, I run on slicks so it gets thrown about a lot more.

To put your mind at rest fit a big light on the oil pressure switch so you can see it clearly, if it flickers on hard bends then you know it's being starved of oil and to slow down.

baslow

posted on 4/2/16 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark. I'm struggling to find one... Is it one of these? http://www.abperformance.co.uk/products.aspx?cat=12

I agree with the warning light - i was going to get one of these: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/dash-warning-lights/trillogy-led-warning-lights

I've got a Haynes manual but to point me in the right direction... any idea's where i would wire this too?

cheers Barry

mark chandler

posted on 4/2/16 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
That's the plate, just bolts between the sump and crank casing, 20 minutes to put in

Any light that catches your eye, I would go for a big LED as the switch in the sender may not have a great load rating, battery off the ignition <> light bulb <> pressure switch tucked under the clutch cover.

You need a big light or you will miss it, LED Reflector Red Rear Tail Brake Stop Marker Light Truck Trailer SUV Motorcycle

[Edited on 4/2/16 by mark chandler]

daniel mason

posted on 4/2/16 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Have you had the sump off?
Matt21

posted on 7/2/16 at 01:14 AM Reply With Quote
I have owned mine for 3years now, and covered a fair few miles and quite a number of track days with road tyres and slicks

The only issues I have had with oil, is when my sump plug fell out, or when I messed around with the sump and caused grief for myself.

With the standard sump, no baffle plate and the oil filled just to the top mark on the sight... never an issue.

I fitted an oil pressure gauge just to give me a heads up if something is going to go wrong so hopefully I can knock the engine off in time. And on long fast corners, left or right, the pressure stays up where it should be.

So I would suggest fitting a gauge first before spending £XXX and see if there is actually an issue before, trying to solve and issue that doesnt exist.
Obviously if you fit the gauge and the pressure is dropping when it shouldn't be then do something to fix it

baslow

posted on 8/2/16 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys. I've not had the sump off yet...

I've ordered a baffle plate from Andy at AB and also a warning light.. I'm going to fit it when i get back from holiday so will let you know how it goes.

thanks again, Barry

daniel mason

posted on 8/2/16 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
How do you know that doesn't already have a baffle plate fitted?
Ab has done a lot of work on 919 blade engined kits.somit may already have one!

baslow

posted on 8/2/16 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
That's true i don't!

I have receipts from the person i bought it off for everything since new and there is no mention of a baffle plate... My logic is that once i have the sump off and there is no baffle plate then i have one to fit - If it does have one then I've got one to return or sell.

cheers

baslow

posted on 23/2/16 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Evening gents,

Baffle plate has arrived, i have drained the oil and removed 14 bolts off the catch pan this evening. The problem is the catch pan seems to be seized on. I've tried twisting it of and giving it some with a rubber mallet but it won't budge. I'm sceptable about trying to wedge anything in so whats the best way to remove it please so i don't cause damage.

cheers

daniel mason

posted on 23/2/16 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Did you order a new sump gasket?
baslow

posted on 23/2/16 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't, I got sealant instead...
mark chandler

posted on 23/2/16 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
It must be glued on with sealant, I would try knocking some Stanley knife blades into the join to act as wedges
baslow

posted on 23/2/16 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Good idea Mark, I'll give that a go tomorrow. Failing that any other ideas? Cheers
baslow

posted on 25/2/16 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mark, that worked like a dream! Baffle fitted everything back in place and oil in with no leaks. Thanks for all you r help. I have a track day booked at oulten and a mate said I need to have a tow ring incase of an incident. I have nothing front or rear, what should I do? Cheers
CosKev3

posted on 25/2/16 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think people use the roll bar if they don't have a towing eye,but you need to make sure they pull the car straight and not on a angle!

When are you at oulton park?

I'm only 30 odd miles away so might call in if I'm off work

baslow

posted on 25/2/16 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
12th April. First one too! Is there anything else I should be doing to get it track ready? Fitted the oil warning light too as well as above. How do you use the roll bar, does something need welding? Cheers
CosKev3

posted on 25/2/16 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
No,just put the tow strap around the bar!

Ref track prep,spanner check all suspension bolts etc I would.

daniel mason

posted on 25/2/16 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I ran out of fuel going into knicker brook at oulton a few years back! It felt like a lifetime gettin towed all the way back to the pits from there.
Adamirish

posted on 25/2/16 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
I ran out of fuel going into knicker brook at oulton a few years back! It felt like a lifetime gettin towed all the way back to the pits from there.

I did exactly the same, in exactly the same place on a bike. Last session of the day, 10 mins in and I was a lot quicker than I had been all day.

I forgot about the reserve tap. a friendly Marshall reminded me so I got it going again, did 2 more laps then called it a day.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

CosKev3

posted on 11/4/16 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baslow
12th April. First one too! Is there anything else I should be doing to get it track ready? Fitted the oil warning light too as well as above. How do you use the roll bar, does something need welding? Cheers

Are you still going tomoz?

Weather looks ok tbf,better than today atleast

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.