Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: Tintop front brakes.
joneh

posted on 5/3/16 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
OT: Tintop front brakes.

Hi,

Need to replace my front pads and discs on the Jeep. I'd like a slightly better stopping power as the standard oe ones have given me a couple of "oh sh1t" moments.

Thinking EBC greenstuff and EBC standard discs. Any thoughts on this or slightly cheaper Brembos? Not interested in Jeep Mopar overpriced parts.

Jon

loggyboy

posted on 5/3/16 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Green stuff tend to wear fast and coat wheels with dust.
Whats the budget and what brand are you replacing?
What sort of oh poo moments are you talking about? (Fade/, sheer lack of braking force/locking up?)

Mistral Motorsport

joneh

posted on 5/3/16 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
No budget, just want better braking force overall. No issues with cold bite or fade etc, just overall stopping power. They don't lock unless a wheel loses grip.

I thought the greenstuff were low dust on solid vented discs? I don't need grooved or dimpled discs.

mcerd1

posted on 5/3/16 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Mintex - I reckon even the OE spec ones are pretty good, and you can always get the M1144's if that's not enough

(they sometimes squeak a bit on some cars I've used them on - clio was the worst, but no squeaks on my focus or cmax)

-

Brian R

posted on 5/3/16 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
If going for EBC then possibly consider Yellowstuff over Green. They are better suited to a heavier vehicle especially where towing is involved.
AntonUK

posted on 5/3/16 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
another vote for mintex

Build Photos Here

ianhurley20

posted on 5/3/16 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
And a vote for Brembo - good kit of bits in the box, no squeal and improved stopping power over standard items with no fade on C3 Picasso and Mitsubishi Overlander. That said I am going for greenstuff on the kit car

britishtrident

posted on 5/3/16 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
From your description it sounds like you have glazed/cooked brake pads.

With current ABS/Traction Control/EWS systems (ie made in the last 15 years) or so the condition of the rear brakes can have a major impact on the stopping efficency which won't always show up as premature ABS operation or light the ABS light.

Personally I would start by checking the condition of the front and rear discs and calipers, check the calipers and guide pins are free if the discs are basically sound ie no rusty voids and not excessively scored I would just clean and" glaze bust" them ieroughen them up with 120 grade production abrasive paper fit new OEM quality pads ie Ferrodo or Mintex (actually the same company). When fitting check the new pads can move freely in the calliper.

If that dosen't work you can fit new discs but first I would want to look at live data diagnostic from the wheel speed sensors it could be the signal one or more of the sensors is dropping out as the speed decreases.

[Edited on 5/3/16 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

joneh

posted on 5/3/16 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies people. The front pads are low and the discs have a lip. I'll probably go with Brembos for discs and look at mintex then.
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 5/3/16 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with britishtridet comments
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 5/3/16 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
I agree with britishtrident comments

obfripper

posted on 5/3/16 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the same boat with my patriot, the front pads had worn low and were starting to fade so i replaced them with eurocarparts own eicher pads (cheap, but made by tmd/mintex/pagid), bedded them in to find out they are rubbish.
They are rumbly under downhill braking and feel wooden, but do work ok if you push past the horrible feeling.
There is no sign of overheating of discs or pads, and i have deglazed the pads and discs several times, which has resulted in no improvement.
I have checked the runout and thickness variation which are both in spec, and the discs are 2mm above minimum thickness and in otherwise good condition.

I am going to fit decent quality new discs and yellowstuff pads when i have had enough of the crap feeling brakes, m1144 are not available in our fitment.
I would not consider greenstuff, ime they are not as good as a standard premium brand pad, in a heavier vehicle they fade badly when pushed hard, and once overheated loose cold bite and can delaminate without warning - the friction material formulation has apparantly been improved, however i'm not brave enough to find out.
The yellowstuff is a far better formulation, i have fitted them to several abarth 595 ss and have been an improvement on the oe fit brembo hp2000 pads.

Dave

britishtrident

posted on 5/3/16 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Own brand budget pads are notoriously prone to poor friction characteristics. Even the pads Ferrodo sels under their 2nd and 3rd line brand names are different from their OEM spec pads.

Assuming the truck is diesl guzzeler one thing I didn't sugest earlier was checking how much vacuum the vac pump is managing to draw.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

joneh

posted on 25/3/16 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
I'm in the same boat with my patriot, the front pads had worn low and were starting to fade so i replaced them with eurocarparts own eicher pads (cheap, but made by tmd/mintex/pagid), bedded them in to find out they are rubbish.
They are rumbly under downhill braking and feel wooden, but do work ok if you push past the horrible feeling.
There is no sign of overheating of discs or pads, and i have deglazed the pads and discs several times, which has resulted in no improvement.
I have checked the runout and thickness variation which are both in spec, and the discs are 2mm above minimum thickness and in otherwise good condition.

I am going to fit decent quality new discs and yellowstuff pads when i have had enough of the crap feeling brakes, m1144 are not available in our fitment.
I would not consider greenstuff, ime they are not as good as a standard premium brand pad, in a heavier vehicle they fade badly when pushed hard, and once overheated loose cold bite and can delaminate without warning - the friction material formulation has apparantly been improved, however i'm not brave enough to find out.
The yellowstuff is a far better formulation, i have fitted them to several abarth 595 ss and have been an improvement on the oe fit brembo hp2000 pads.

Dave

Went for the Yellowstuff kit with EBC discs. £150 from Demon Twerps via snail mail.

Not bedded in yet, only done 20 odd miles but it's a massive improvement. Had to peel my face off the windscreen doing some 60mph to 10's on a country lane. Will report back in 300 miles see if they still feel good.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.