Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using Tintop Gauges
Furyous

posted on 10/3/16 at 04:33 AM Reply With Quote
Using Tintop Gauges

I'm dismantling a Subaru Legacy and I've taken a liking to the gauge cluster. It's quite narrow (about an inch thick) and light, and I like the style.

Is it likely to be run by a separate control unit, or would things like engine speed and vehicle speed sensors go straight to the dials? If the latter, I'll put some time into finding out what pin does what.

As a side note, an EJ20 twin turbo is too wide for a Fury chassis.

britishtrident

posted on 10/3/16 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Usually temperature gauges on modern cars are driven by the engine PCM they don't show true temperature but are fixed on "N" between 75 and 105c so as not worry the owners. The speedo is normally driven by a signal originating from one wheel which is processed by the ABS unit which is usually also supplied to the engine PCM

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

benchmark51

posted on 10/3/16 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking along those lines too. I have a focus ST170 and intend swiping the engine for a kit and using everything else I can including gauges and wiring. I would make the scuttle to suit the gauges.
big_wasa

posted on 10/3/16 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I've never took the scooby to bits so I can not say how it works but the st170 I have

The speed sensor for a Ford is in the gearbox but it's not direct to the clock's after 2001 ish. Same with the engine coolant temp.

The dash is driven by the ecu along can bus.

The st170 also has an extra pod showing oil temp and pressure. There are no sensors for these and figures are generated from the ecu. This extra pod also has a driver for the back lights in the main dash.

If you use the oem ecu you can use the dash but you may need a speed healer to adjust the speed.

[Edited on 10/3/16 by big_wasa]

obfripper

posted on 10/3/16 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Subaru's from about 2003 on use canbus, if you look at the obd plug, pins 6 and 14 will be wired up if it has canbus systems.
With pre canbus the fuel and temp gauges are analog feed, the speedo and tacho are 5v pulse driven.

Dave

Furyous

posted on 11/3/16 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm. Shame about the CANBUS thing. Although, it did occur to me that calibrating the speedo would be awkward either way.

As much as I like them, they probably won't suit the Fury anyway.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.