Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can an electrician help me please!!
prawnabie

posted on 21/3/16 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Can an electrician help me please!!

Hi all,

Having ripped all of the electrics out of our garage due to them being fitted from a spur in the kitchen, I have got a sparky coming round to look at taking a supply out to the garage from the main consumer unit and fitting small CU in the garage.

From this smaller CU I will be running some strip lights from a 6a MCB and a ring for the sockets from the other MCB which is 32amp.

Apaert from the usually power tools I have a 160 amp TIG fitted with a 16amp 3 pin round plug and a 150 Mig fitted with a 13amp normal 3 pin plug - am I right in thinking that a 32amp ring with the correct rating cable is a no no as the 16amp socket is not fused? If so what rating MCB should I be looking to get or would you fuse the socket and leave the extra capacity in place?

Thanks in advance for your help - just need to have a bit my info before he comes round!

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/3/16 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
No expert, but radial fed my a 16a mcb sounds decent plan to me.
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/16 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 175 amp mig on a 13 amp standard plug and never noticed any issues even welding up heavy roll cages, you may be overdoing things a tad unless Tig's use more current for the same power? then again how often do you weld on full power? I've never used the top setting even welding 6mm plate.

although I did have a arc stick welder on the same kind of setup which melted the plug into the socket, no idea of it's power but it was an industrial machine and I generally used it as a cheap version of a plasma cutter

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 21/3/16 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no electrician, but do run a 150A MIG welder from a standard 13A socket without any issues. That said my CU is in the garage and I have wired a ring direct from the CU around the garage so it's not loaded elsewhere.

rgrs

posted on 21/3/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Dedicated supply for the welder 2.5mm to a 16a socket fed from a 20A mcb type c or d, provided that the earth loop impedance is ok.

But it will be up to your electrician

regards Roger

prawnabie

posted on 21/3/16 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies!

So I guess one of those "garage" type CU's will be out of the question then as I will need space for 3 MCB's at a minimum.

Cheers guys just wanted to know what to expect!

Shaun

coozer

posted on 21/3/16 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Get along to tool station, they do a 9 way CU for less than a tenner.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

JoelP

posted on 21/3/16 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
If it were mine, I'd just put both welders onto normal 13a plugs and use 2 neutral pins in each, ie no fuse. It'll save a lot of faffing.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

prawnabie

posted on 21/3/16 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

Turns out the TIG can use a 13 amp supply and the 16amp plug was just put on to due to the thickness of the cable!

robinj66

posted on 21/3/16 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I got myself one of these for my garage 3 Way Garage,Shed, Caravan,Workshop Consumer Unit Mains Isolator + 3 x MCB's - one circuit for lights, one for 13A sockets and one for a 16A supply for my compressor. They will supply c type mcb's if you ask. They also do CU's with rcd protection.
prawnabie

posted on 21/3/16 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
As all my stuff seems to be 13amp now, what happens if the MCB for the ring is 13amp and both welders are being used - is it worth increasing the capacity with bigger cable and MCB or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,
Shaun

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/16 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
As all my stuff seems to be 13amp now, what happens if the MCB for the ring is 13amp and both welders are being used - is it worth increasing the capacity with bigger cable and MCB or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks,
Shaun

you can weld with two machines at once? wow

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mk7matt

posted on 22/3/16 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Get along to tool station, they do a 9 way CU for less than a tenner.

If that's for a metal CU then that's a bargain!

With regards to the original post, there's not a lot wrong with feeding a small garage CU from a spur off the kitchen ring.
Garage board would have 6 A for lighting and 16A for sockets.
You could have your 16A socket outlet on the socket radial circuit - just don't use too many things at once as this would trip the MCB.

2.0 Pinto powered Mk Indy.
10 years in the making.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.