Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounting Acewell to Steering Wheel - Wiring?
oliwb

posted on 28/3/16 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Mounting Acewell to Steering Wheel - Wiring?

Hi folks, not sure if this should really be an "interior" question or not.

I have an Acewell dash that I want to fit on the centre of the steering wheel (Mountney). I'm wondering how would be best to pass the wires? I narrowed it down to three potentials:

1) get some of that multi-cored coiled wire and secure it inside the wheel and on the underside of the column using P-clips (or similar). I'm concerned this will flap around and catch on indicator stalks etc.
2) Drill a hole through the centre of the hub mounting bolt and pass wires down through the steering column. Not really sure what to do with them at the other end of the column as the UJ would sever / abrade them?
3) Buy one of the very expensive QR steering wheel bosses that have electrical contacts.....

Any other suggestions or anyone done something similar?

Cheers

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 28/3/16 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think the wiring to do a dash on a steering wheel would be too thick?

People use the flexi cord stuff easy enough when it's just a couple of buttons on steering wheel,but a dash would require many more wires.

rodgling

posted on 28/3/16 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've done option #1 with four-core curly wire for steering wheel buttons, works fine. Might be trickier with more wires, probably doable if you can get some good quality non-bulky wire though.
oliwb

posted on 28/3/16 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking along the lines of this Multi-Core Cable. Can't actually remember how many cores the Acewell requires. I've got the basic 3150. TBH, I have all of the dials already except a rev counter so even if I just wire up a few of the sensors that would be enough. Is there a trick to where to anchor each end of the cable so as to avoid entaglement with the stalks (ie. do I secure it in front of them on the underside of the column)?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 28/3/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think it will need to be steering wheel side of your stalks,as long as you've got enough to go around your column to full lock you should be ok.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 28/3/16 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm mounting buttons on the steering wheel, and am using that pig-tail multi-core wire. Although I tell you now, I didn't pay Demon Thieves pricing for it!! My approach is going to be to weld a small tab on the underside of the steering column with a hole near the bottom, and use a cable tie or similar part-way along the cable to support it. I'm using an XLR plug on the end and matching dash-mounted socket to enable the wheel and buttons to be easily removed, but there's no real need for this.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

oliwb

posted on 29/3/16 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Charlie - where did you get your cable from?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.