Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Look at the size of my ... engine mounts
FuryRebuild

posted on 1/4/16 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Look at the size of my ... engine mounts

So, a while ago, I made some engine mounts but due to a major packaging issue (everything was fouling the dry-sump pump) I have had to replay my engine mounts.

Rather then make new brackets and weld them on the chassis, I went looking for a better solution, that would allow me to bolt to the chassis. I found a set of Honda Civic Type R mounts on eBay, and they came in from China.

They're bigger than they look in the picture on eBay. MUCH MUCH BIGGER.

I've included a pound coin in the picture to give you an impression of the size. They weigh nothing mind.

Description
Description

the through-hole is 15mm, and the mounting holes are 14mm

I will rework the tube that comes from the plates on the engine block, to mate up to the bracket and cross-bolt, a bit like a massive clevis. I can't help wondering if I could make a decent mount out of CF ...

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

sdh2903

posted on 1/4/16 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
After a major rebuild you are completing at no doubt significant cost, you really going to trust a cheapo set of chinese mounts with holding your engine in place? Just saying......
FuryRebuild

posted on 1/4/16 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yup - they're cast aluminium and massively over-engineered for what I need. They were about £48 for the pair, and seem well done. They've been milled from solid and the central bush is well in place.

They're a nice bit of kit. Just HUGE.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Julian B

posted on 26/4/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
That would worry me too on two accounts

1 cast aluminium has a tendancy for catastrophic failure.... ie it doesnt bend. If its not been made by a manufacturer thats willing to put their name and reputation on it then i would walk away

2 are you bolting this to inch square tube? if so how big are those mounting holes? welding a bracket speads the load over its whole length , here the forces are pretty much through the bolt points

Thats an amatures POV so feel free to shoot me down in flames

Happy building

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.