Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: making headlights better.. recomendations please
pistol pete

posted on 14/4/16 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
making headlights better.. recomendations please

I have a MK indy..

And i like to use it as much as possible.. but i work shifts so either to work at 5am or home at 10pm..

i used it yesterday.. on the way home i think i would have been better with a candle..

so how do i make them better is the main question?

replace whole headlight? if so for what?

or change the bulbs, again for what?
or is it generally kit car lights are bad..

If it makes a difference it has a hayabusa engine

thanks
pete

sdh2903

posted on 14/4/16 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
What headlights are they? I've found the 4 in dominator s to be hopeless. I swapped to 5 in headlights with decent bulbs and lenses and the difference was massive
pistol pete

posted on 14/4/16 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
What headlights are they? I've found the 4 in dominator s to be hopeless. I swapped to 5 in headlights with decent bulbs and lenses and the difference was massive

No idea what they are.. whats dominator?

will they have some markings ill have a look when home.

heres a pic

thanks
pete

sdh2903

posted on 14/4/16 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yup they're dominator headlights. Unfortunately they're crap. If you want to seriously use the car in the dark get some 5 3/4 or 7 inch headlights.

They would be a but better perhaps with some osram night breaker bulbs or equivalent.

russbost

posted on 14/4/16 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you have 5 & 3/4" or 7" lights then LED replacements are available, link

these have something like 4 times the lumens light output that traditional halogens have.

Alternatively you could go for single or twin projector lights either of which can have HID kits fitted (tho' tbh they are so good just with a halogen I doubt you'd need to go to the expense of HID) link

Talk to Oliver at Furore Products & I'm sure he can fix you up with a discount 07905 879407

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
pistol pete

posted on 14/4/16 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys.. that gives me some direction to start looking..

exactly what i was after...

pistol pete

posted on 14/4/16 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Love those 2nd set of headlights you posted..
2 for each side?? that would look cool and be bright

russbost

posted on 14/4/16 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
There are a few guys on here that have had the twins from us & fitted them, we use the same style of light on the Furore, but it has both dip & main within the one housing, link

on our car we wanted the lights to disappear rather than be a statement!

Red Bull new pods 1
Red Bull new pods 1

It obviously depends what sort of look you're going for, either will give you a similar amount of light.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
big-vee-twin

posted on 14/4/16 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have some 5 3\4 inch chrome headlamps for sale never been used on the road.

Message me if you are interested.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

DJT

posted on 15/4/16 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I've just fitted the 5.75" LED headlights. They are outstanding. Almost as good as the bi-xenons on my Volvo. The colour temperature is better on the LED.

Oh, and I upgraded from the Dominators, so a particularly stark difference!

[Edited on 15-4-2016 by DJT]

[Edited on 15-4-2016 by DJT]

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

loggyboy

posted on 15/4/16 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
HID upgrade kit?

Mistral Motorsport

DJT

posted on 15/4/16 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
But then you'd just dazzle the other road users. Unless the headlight units have good control of the beam pattern, which most chav-mobiles don't seem to have.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

Texan

posted on 15/4/16 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at these

LED lights

I drive therefore I am.

rusty nuts

posted on 15/4/16 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
HID upgrade kit? [/quot

Instant MOT failure , with good reason

russbost

posted on 15/4/16 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
HID upgrade kit?

HID kits (decent ones) work fine where you have a single filament bulb, however if you are replacing an H4 or similar (H4 is what you'll find in Dominators) then I would recommend very strongly against, we use HID kits in some of our projector lights which use the H1 single filament bulb & they work really well, but where you have a dual filament bulb there is no way to replicate that with a dual filament HID tube, some manufacturers offer a system which shuttles the tube back & forth to simulate the 2 filament positions, but if you look at the H4 bulb the 2 filaments aren't just at different focal lengths, they are also in different positions along the axis of the bulb, so when you try & replicate that with a tube it simply cannot be accurate for both filament positions, hence you get loads more light, but sprayed all over the place instead of where you want it & frequently with "black spots" within the beam pattern where you get little or no light at all! I have yet to see a dual filament replacement HID kit that works properly!

pistol pete

posted on 20/4/16 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone.. they are all looking really good

i suspect i will got for LED lights..

Ill let you know how i get on.

adithorp

posted on 20/4/16 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted 5 3/4" LED (from Russ) and they're really good. Dip is bright, long and wide with a crisp cut-off... Main beam is like having your own, personal Sun.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

loggyboy

posted on 20/4/16 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

Instant MOT failure , with good reason

No its not.

Mistral Motorsport

pistol pete

posted on 20/4/16 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I fitted 5 3/4" LED (from Russ) and they're really good. Dip is bright, long and wide with a crisp cut-off... Main beam is like having your own, personal Sun.

I thins when I get paid that'll be what I get. Thanks

Irony

posted on 20/4/16 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I have the twin photons supplied by Furore. They are quite bright and totally useable. Easily as bright as a average tiptop but not as bright as a high end tiptop. They look cool though.

Description
Description

pistol pete

posted on 20/4/16 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I have the twin photons supplied by Furore. They are quite bright and totally useable. Easily as bright as a average tiptop but not as bright as a high end tiptop. They look cool though.

Description
Description

they do look very cool on the car.. thanks for the picture

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 20/4/16 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of things I have noticed, a single projector light from Russ, doesn't do it for me. this is where there is one bulb and the size of the beam pattern opens up for main beam. I'd recommend the twin ones, assuming dipped and main are on at the same time, or at least main has a brighter bulb in it. I know others have differnt experience of the single, but I wouldn't say they were better than the 4" units I had before.

LEDs, I bought some truck-lite 7" ones a while back, before Russ started doing LEDs I haven't used them yet as they are so flipping heavy. I need to make some brackets that I can bolt down (currently mine hang just on the nose and also I am wary of the housings I bought, will they be strong enough!)

Think if you are happy with a flat beam pattern, or if you want uk dipping.

nick205

posted on 20/4/16 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
I replaced a set of Chrome 5 3/4" lights with a smaller black enclosure set from russbost. The early larger ones were OK light wise, but wobbly at any speed. The smaller russbost ones were rock solid and for me fine light wise. I should state that I didn't often drive in the dark though.

Irony

posted on 20/4/16 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I wired my twin photons so that when mains come on the dipped beams stay on. So both light stop on adding their combined light to the road.
terry brown

posted on 28/4/16 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pistol pete
I have a MK indy..

And i like to use it as much as possible.. but i work shifts so either to work at 5am or home at 10pm..

i used it yesterday.. on the way home i think i would have been better with a candle..

so how do i make them better is the main question?

replace whole headlight? if so for what?

or change the bulbs, again for what?
or is it generally kit car lights are bad..

If it makes a difference it has a hayabusa engine

thanks
pete

i have a hayabusa westy and fitted a HID kit - much much brighter in the same light pod and uses less leccy - so less strain on the generator

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.