Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: watts link, any geometry peeps about?
Craigorypeck

posted on 2/5/16 at 03:32 AM Reply With Quote
watts link, any geometry peeps about?

Putting together a watts linkage and need some info if possible...

As far as i can see and from what ive read....

My propeller thats attached to the rear of the diff has two holes that are both 75mm away from the center pivot hole so 150mm in total

My identical length link arms should now be attached to the chassis and one should be mounted 150mm higher than the other

This is correct...? Yes?

So I want to rotate the propeller about 20 degrees clockwise at static ride height to give extra travel but ultimately to help with potential clearance issues but do the same rules apply as per above?

My query is do i now have to measure the distance between the outer propeller pivot points on a horizontal level parallel?
This distance will be less than 150mm (say 130mm) should my link arms now be mounted on the chassis at 130mm apart?

This does seem wrong and im probably over thinking it but thought i would ask the knowledgeable folks on here in case i was gonna make a boo boo...

TIA

Neville Jones

posted on 6/5/16 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Much better to mount the crank(propellor) to a bracket attached to the chassis, then lateral links are easily attached to the (back of) trailing arm brackets on the diff.

Geometry should point to keeping the links at 90degrees to the crank at static height, but some variation doesn't cause big problems.

Cheers,
Nev.

Craigorypeck

posted on 6/5/16 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
This is watt I've ended up with

I made the two outer bushes to slide up and down on the frame so I could easily move to correct position. I mounted the lower one first then with a laser level mounted the upper one the same distance away as the distance of outer crank eyes. The crank is rotated clockwise a bit and I bolted the crank to the axle bracket last. It all seems to work perfectly.
Bit of extra gusseting to steady it up and I've mounted it so it's all detachable with a few bolts.
[Edited on 6/5/16 by Craigorypeck]

[Edited on 6/5/16 by Craigorypeck]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.