Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zx12r problems
Bigbangmkindy

posted on 22/5/16 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
Zx12r problems

Wandering if anybody can help just got a new kit car running a zx12r apparently overbored to 1270cc had it on track knockhill for the first time just the other night and all in all it was running ok suspension setup was terrible clutch was slipping a bit . brakes were shuddering like crazy but that's all pretty insignificant ! But one thing I am slightly more concerned about is it didn't seem that fast it was ok up until about 8000rpm then seemed to kina runout of power a no misfire or anything like that ! But just dident have the go I expected I was actually changing up most of the time about 7500 to 8500 any help would be greatly appreciated
On the up side with all that wrong and treaded tyres on a slightly damp track best lap 59.2 so think it's going to be amazing when I get things sorted

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

JimSpencer

posted on 22/5/16 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Throttle Position Sensor on the way out can generate that problem.

CosKev3

posted on 22/5/16 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Presuming it's got a power commander?

Could just be badly set up?

rf900rush

posted on 22/5/16 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
The ZX12R engine version (2004) I had could show engine code. from memory there was a wire that could be connected on power up, too show codes.

May show some faults. I found this via google searches.

Any changes from the original bike setup will need remapping using a power commander or similar.

Mine never felt as quick as it should, but having a demo ride in a Hayabusa Turbo Dax rush nothing ever does now

Was still in the low 4 seconds to 60 with traction problems. My Dax was not the lightest as it was build for road use.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 22/5/16 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
The ZX12R engine version (2004) I had could show engine code. from memory there was a wire that could be connected on power up, too show codes.

May show some faults. I found this via google searches.

Any changes from the original bike setup will need remapping using a power commander or similar.

Mine never felt as quick as it should, but having a demo ride in a Hayabusa Turbo Dax rush nothing ever does now

Was still in the low 4 seconds to 60 with traction problems. My Dax was not the lightest as it was build for road use.

I would say that was not setup well then. Mine made 197bhp at the fly, and hits 60mph in sub 4s. Mine really shifts above 8000rpm, so the opposite to the OP. I would be looking at the mapping for a start.

Bigbangmkindy

posted on 22/5/16 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Tps is certainly something that had in mind Jim iv not found out yet exactly how to check it yet Jim it died use a power commander 3 usb and I'm going to to plug a laptop to it today don't know anything about the tuning side bit a least I can get a screen shot of the current map I have to idea what year the engine is I have the engine code but I'm told it doesn't relate to an age but I would be surprised to find it's a 2004 I feel 2001 for some reason
Also the Fi light is on ! No flash just stays on all the time but has a bit of tape over it the tap looked old don't think this is to hide from me but more just how it's been for years maybe since the engine was fitted . The Fi system certainly has been altered from standered and runs a fuel tank runing to a swirl tank via a low pressure pump then swirl to rail via high pressure pump and a return with a adjustable regulator fitted . I also ad the injection pump is extremely noisy! I fitted a psi gadge yesterday and iv got about 40psi I gave it a bit blip of the throttle and comes down to about 37psi . I have heard about this yellow wire for reading codes but as yet not seen anything

Bigbangmkindy

posted on 22/5/16 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Twybrow does yours use a power commander ?
twybrow

posted on 22/5/16 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbangmkindy
Twybrow does yours use a power commander ?

Yes, and it made about 25wbhp difference when remapped.

Bigbangmkindy

posted on 22/5/16 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Well that's me just got a shot of a laptop so I'm going to have a look see what the map looks like I'll post a pic see what everybody thinks is your engine standerd ?
twybrow

posted on 22/5/16 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
There is a big difference between the A1/2 (2000-2001) and the B2/2 (2002-2004). The A's have two plugs for the ECU, both roughly the same size, with one plug having a lot more wires than the other. If you have the original clocks only the A1 has the 220mph clocks fyi.

Yes, my engine is standard apart from a custom airbox and zorst (and beefy cluch springs).

To check for the fault codes, you need to ground that yellow wire, and then switch on the ignition on (but do nor switch the engine on. The EFI light will flash, and you'd can find the codes online. I would be looking into the cause of the efi light before you do anything more....

[Edited on 22/5/16 by twybrow]

Bigbangmkindy

posted on 22/5/16 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I need to remove a few bits to see ecu but certainly have 220mph clocks
CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 22/5/16 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Worth getting the mods to put this thread in the correct section rather than the "for sale" section.
Bigbangmkindy

posted on 22/5/16 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Lol I didn't even realise lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.