Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dash2 Pro fitting
peter030371

posted on 28/6/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Dash2 Pro fitting

Is it just be or has anyone else noticed that the supplied paper copy of the fitting template from Race Technology is not printed to scale! Fitting template Good job I spotted that before drilling away.....

I then printed it to scale and got to work with the drill and guess what....some of it is just wrong I now have the GPS connector hole 3-4 mm too far to the right in my dashboard

I am going to have to bodge it now to fit which for something so simple annoys me

Yes,yes it won't be seen you all say but I will know its there

jeffw

posted on 28/6/16 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry....you've done something to the Striker and it's wrong? seriously ?

peter030371

posted on 28/6/16 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I should add, just for Jeffs benefit, that I do now have a dipstick.......and Debbie (my Mrs) knows how to use it (unlike Jeff)
Chris Ridgers

posted on 28/6/16 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Photo copy the back of the Dash Pro and pencil/drill through to make sure your mm perfect.
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JSG89

posted on 28/6/16 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you put the Dash2 onto a photo copier to photocopy the bottom. Then print off and drill through the paper.

This is the same method I use with smoke alarms.

Super simple and you are in charge of your own destiny.

Hope this helps

peter030371

posted on 28/6/16 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
This is the error I found (bottom left in red) and I haven't checked the rest yet but will do after work.

Dash2 error
Dash2 error

I assumed that on an £1,050 dash unit the supplied template would be correct.....silly me

Circa 3mm doesn't sound much but its 30% of the hole diameter I made for the SMA and we all know how easy it is to 'move' a 10mm hole right by 3mm

You can all just ignore me, first world problems and all that

jeffw

posted on 28/6/16 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you make the hole perfect you'll struggle to get the connectors on.

peter030371

posted on 28/6/16 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
If you make the hole perfect you'll struggle to get the connectors on.

I made the hole a little oversize to allow the SMA to screw on....its just its now oversized in the wrong place

Another hour of work and then i'll be down there hacking the dashboard about until it does fit!

furryeggs

posted on 28/6/16 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
On the website pdf download i have it says when printing "do not scale".
rodgling

posted on 28/6/16 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I used their template without any problems. Maybe you were slightly off in your drilling?

Don't forget that the GPS connector hole needs to be quite a bit bigger than the actual plug on the dash to allow room for the connector.

jeffw

posted on 28/6/16 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Reaches for a big bag of popcorn......

peter030371

posted on 29/6/16 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
All very good answers but missing the point(s).

1) the SUPPLIED printed drawing, in the box with the Dash2, WAS printed to the wrong scale (not by me but by them)
2) Even printing out the pdf to the CORRECT scale doesn't help that the position of the SMA is wrong by several mm
3) I hope you are sharing the popcorn?
4) There must be a four, I just haven't had enough coffee to wake up yet and remember what that could be

I gave up with the drawing last night and reverted to good old fashioned engineering with a metal rule and not so old fashioned digital caliper. For all I know the other points could be wrong on the drawing like the SMA but I couldn't be bothered to work it out for them. Now all fitted and thank good the unit itself hides all the hacked about holes behind it

Out of interest this week I am sorting out a similar mounting drawing for a bit of OEM electronics kit for the worlds biggest trucks. If we get that wrong then heads will role and our customers don't pay the bills! Come on Race Technology, I can't be the first person to spot this (and yes I will be telling them).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.