Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto rebuild - valve to piston clearance ?
mcerd1

posted on 15/7/16 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto rebuild - valve to piston clearance ?

I hope your all sitting down for this - but I've actually found some time to work on my car

I figured it was about time to finish building the engine and one of the first jobs on the list was to check the valve to piston clearance

So I finished off the head, set the valve clearances, stuck it on with some plasticine on the pistons (using a spare gasket and belt)
then timed the cam with my dial gauge (which was nearly 8° off using the nearest tooth on the belt!) and turned it over a few times by hand, stripped the head back off and measured the plasticine at a min of 2mm clear

its only at this point that I realised I don't know what the minimum acceptable clearance should be for these engines and despite searching for some time now I can't find any conclusive answers

the figures I've see range from just over 1mm (0.040" ) to more than 2.5mm - and some just say as much as possible.....

Any thoughts ?

-

Ian.C

posted on 15/7/16 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
I hope your all sitting down for this - but I've actually found some time to work on my car

I figured it was about time to finish building the engine and one of the first jobs on the list was to check the valve to piston clearance

So I finished off the head, set the valve clearances, stuck it on with some plasticine on the pistons (using a spare gasket and belt)
then timed the cam with my dial gauge (which was nearly 8° off using the nearest tooth on the belt!) and turned it over a few times by hand, stripped the head back off and measured the plasticine at a min of 2mm clear

its only at this point that I realised I don't know what the minimum acceptable clearance should be for these engines and despite searching for some time now I can't find any conclusive answers

the figures I've see range from just over 1mm (0.040" ) to more than 2.5mm - and some just say as much as possible.....

Any thoughts ?

I have 2.0 fuel injection head skimmed by 1.5mm and have been running with a valve to piston clearance of 1.5mm for years, don't know if it would be a problem on a track car though.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/7/16 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'm more interested in how this clearance can reduce while running?

Assuming the valve springs are strong enough, are we talking metal expansion or valve float reducing the clearance. I'd have thought the engine block would expand more than the piston or rod given it's greater length so maybe the clearance would actually increase?

[Edited on 15/7/16 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian.C

posted on 15/7/16 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
All I can say is that my engine gets abused, its still good after 5 years. Maybe your over thinking the situation.
snapper

posted on 16/7/16 at 04:50 AM Reply With Quote
Piston to deck clearance is quoted as 0.9mm safe 0.75 race this is to account for rod stretch at high revs
Therefore 2mm is more than enough
If you change camshaft for 1 with more lift you should check again
Full lift is after TDC so chasing the piston down the bore and it won't catch it
Lift at TDC is the place you need to worry about and you can increase the gap by retarding the cam timing

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Nickp

posted on 16/7/16 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say 2mm will be fine too, presuming valve springs are up to the job.
mcerd1

posted on 16/7/16 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I'm more interested in how this clearance can reduce while running?

Assuming the valve springs are strong enough, are we talking metal expansion or valve float reducing the clearance. I'd have thought the engine block would expand more than the piston or rod given it's greater length so maybe the clearance would actually increase?

I believe the 2 biggest issues are rod stretch at high RPM and expansion of the exhaust valves

obviously made worse by the longer duration and higher lift cam (mine is a piper 285 which is meant to be 270° inlet and 290° exhaust with 11.81mm lift)

quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
I'd say 2mm will be fine too, presuming valve springs are up to the job.

the spring are new and supplied with the cam - but I have to admit I never checked the spring rates...

[Edited on 16/7/2016 by mcerd1]

-

IanSouthLincs

posted on 16/7/16 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
According to the guide Burtons give out they specify 1.5mm or 60 thou minimum clearance, so you're well within tolerance. I used a Piper 285 with a Victor Reinz 1.3mm gasket and 40 thou head skim and got 1.8mm clearance when I did the plasticine test. Hope this helps 👍
mcerd1

posted on 18/7/16 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys, it gives me a bit more confidence

next up - I'd better check the actual combustion chamber volumes and spark plug tip clearance too.....

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.