Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis touch-up..
AlexXtreme

posted on 27/7/16 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis touch-up..

Although in general pain on my chassis is in good nick, I have a number of small areas where I have rust esp around the areas such as welded joints and where there has been stone impacts (it was finished in the 90's so the paint has done pretty well!). The plan is to locally clean up these areas, removing any loose paint and then treat them with POR15 (after degreasing etc).

I am all up for buying tools to help me do this type of nasty jobs. Any suggestion?? As I hope this is a one off so I was thinking of this tool

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-79340-230-Volt-Multitool-Accessories/dp/B000ELJ0HY/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5S0YFJN7G36AXFRE8CGH />
I already have a grinder so could buy disks for this if there is anything suitable

Alex

Slimy38

posted on 27/7/16 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for a wire wheel or cup brush in a grinder rather than a Dremel.
AlexXtreme

posted on 27/7/16 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Slim38, have one of those - thanks!
AlexXtreme

posted on 27/7/16 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
looking at what I have to clean up around the rear axle trailing arms and other similar areas, the access is not that good and cup brush / wire wheel will not get in there....
Dean m

posted on 27/7/16 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
I know some people love them but for some reason I have never really got on with my multi tool and it just sits in its box.

As slimy38 says I would use wire wheel or poly abrasive disc if you had enough access.
My choice in restricted access areas is a black and decker rotary file, you can easily fit different grades of sanding belts to it. Although it probably does need a bit more access than a multitool.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/black-decker-ka900e-powerfile-701847?gclid=CLm0w67Xk84CFQgz0wodDNgOaQ

Slimy38

posted on 27/7/16 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dean m
I know some people love them but for some reason I have never really got on with my multi tool and it just sits in its box.

As slimy38 says I would use wire wheel or poly abrasive disc if you had enough access.
My choice in restricted access areas is a black and decker rotary file, you can easily fit different grades of sanding belts to it. Although it probably does need a bit more access than a multitool.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/black-decker-ka900e-powerfile-701847?gclid=CLm0w67Xk84CFQgz0wodDNgOaQ

My powerfile is my go-to tool for pretty much anything. Smoothing metal edges? Check. Tidying up rust? Check. Trimming fingernails? Check.

I used to think it was an optional extra that could be covered by any tools, but I have absolutely no regrets buying one.

AlexXtreme

posted on 27/7/16 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
the power file looks the business... :-) and will get to most areas. any suggestion of which grit paper to get?
Slimy38

posted on 27/7/16 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexXtreme
the power file looks the business... :-) and will get to most areas. any suggestion of which grit paper to get?

I tend to use 60 grit for everything. Rust just needs a gentle touch, grinding out a birdp00p weld takes a few seconds.

The main thing is to buy belts of good quality, as the cheaper ones break at the seam. I was recommended this guy on Ebay;

BLACK& DECKER powerfile belts 60 grit 13 x 451 correct size (20)BRILLIANT JOINT

They're not the cheapest but I've only ever had one belt break (I pressed too hard on a sharp metal edge and it cut it to shreds).

AlexXtreme

posted on 27/7/16 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Slim38!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.