Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Open source vehicle
russbost

posted on 7/9/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Open source vehicle

I think the concept of open source is great, but how is THIS in any way shape or form cheap? The price of between $12.5k & $20k presumably varies according to no. of batteries & no. of seats, but as I could buy a recent second hand Leaf for a lot less & not have to supply my own "rest of car" just who is going to buy this?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
prawnabie

posted on 7/9/16 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
One thing to note aswell, I read on here that it was becoming nigh on impossible for an amateur builder to put an electric vehicle through an IVA due to the upcoming (may be in force now) costly need for destructive testing on the batteries....
coozer

posted on 7/9/16 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Well, the Leaf isn't a good buy cause after you buy the car Nissan will only lease you the batterys!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

russbost

posted on 7/9/16 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Well, the Leaf isn't a good buy cause after you buy the car Nissan will only lease you the batterys!

Nope, you can either buy or lease the batteries with the Leaf Nissan Leaf E ( 80kw ) Auto. Batteries are Owned 2 X Keys FSH

& I think that car is a good example of my point, it's 5 years old, has covered 13,000 miles, you would expect it to be pretty much as new, & Nissan have a fantastic record with the batteries according to Wiki, which would you rather have, a pile of steel that looks like it was thrown together in a shed, with unproven batteries of unknown origin & you still need to build your car around it, or a complete ready to go vehicle that's just about run in for less money, I think I know which way my wallet would vote!

I simply fail to see the point of the Tabby Evo, nor what they are trying to achieve with it, pretty sure I could knock you one up in my garage for no more money than they want & that would be on a on a one-off basis!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
prawnabie

posted on 7/9/16 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
yeah as with the E-NV200 you can buy the batteries with the car, it bumps the price up by about 9k though!!
morcus

posted on 7/9/16 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I had a look but I'm not sure I quite understand who its for, surely if you were doing what they're suggesting you'd just want to buy plans and components rather than rolling chassis.

I think your advantage over a Leaf is it not being classified as a car but as a Quadricycle like the old GWiz and not having to follow normal safety rules.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

coozer

posted on 7/9/16 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Rather stick with a good old 7L V8...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

russbost

posted on 8/9/16 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
I had a look but I'm not sure I quite understand who its for, surely if you were doing what they're suggesting you'd just want to buy plans and components rather than rolling chassis.

I think your advantage over a Leaf is it not being classified as a car but as a Quadricycle like the old GWiz and not having to follow normal safety rules.

But surely that's only going to help if you're going to finish up with something cheaper, lighter, faster, better endurance - looks pretty unlikely in this case! More likely to finish up with something possibly even worse than the G-Wiz - as said, I just don't get it!

Irony

posted on 8/9/16 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I totally get the concept but not the price. I quite fancy it but not at that money. Being as you can buy a Leaf with 10K on the clock for £10K. I would just buy a leaf and strip it. Sell the parts on eBay and free up some cash.
myke pocock

posted on 8/9/16 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Not impressed one bit. Looks like it was knocked up in a school as a GCSE project.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.