Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Visibility angles of LED rear lights
Joshy

posted on 7/12/16 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Visibility angles of LED rear lights

Hi all,

I have these LED rear lights: http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/ring-led-indicator-clear-95mm-clear/

Clear lens, separate indicators and stop/tail lights. I have mounted them on 3D printed bosses to correct the angle such that they point directly rearwards.

Having powered them up, I am concerned I may not be meeting the IVA regulations for angles of visibility (section 20).

Does anyone have any IVA experience with these lights, especially if they've been mounted on pods?

Thanks!

Josh

CosKev3

posted on 7/12/16 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure it's only the fog light that needs to be vertical.

If you are struggling for side angles on the lights on the arches you could alter the mounting bosses you've made to angle the lights outwards slightly?

But I have a nasty feeling the LEDS are too deep in the light on that style of light and you will struggle to meet the angles

wicket

posted on 7/12/16 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
It says they are E approved but are they E marked?
tims31

posted on 8/12/16 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
They are E approved according to the Ring website so should be ok http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/products/Commercial/ Lighting+Units/Signal+Lighting/RCV4506

Was going to fit a set of these and hope they are OK.

I've spoken to SVC and they are E Marked. They dont have reflectors in the lens though, even the red ones.

[Edited on 8/12/16 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

simon h

posted on 8/12/16 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Not had experience of these lamps but the regs state that an apparent surface of at least 50% must be visible in those angles.

I take it that it means that 50% of the lens must be visible, not the light source inside. The lens will be lit up by the LED's to a degree and that should cover it.

This is only my interpretation of it.

40inches

posted on 8/12/16 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by simon h
Not had experience of these lamps but the regs state that an apparent surface of at least 50% must be visible in those angles.

I take it that it means that 50% of the lens must be visible, not the light source inside. The lens will be lit up by the LED's to a degree and that should cover it.

This is only my interpretation of it.

I have purchased two complete sets of THESE lights. They are 'E' marked and comply with the visability angles.
Looks like they have sold out of Tail/stop lights, at the same price

posted on 8/12/16 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Obviously I can't see if they are visible from the necessary angle but you do need RED reflectors at the rear of a vehicle.

Usually these are incorporated within the lens of the rear light when red lights are used.
If you fit separate red reflectors then that sort of defeats the using of white/clear lights in my book.

IMHO lights, including indicators, should stick out like a dogs balls purely for safeties sake, but then I'm just an old fart.
Alive, but still an old fart.

Paul G

pekwah1

posted on 8/12/16 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
the answer is yes, they have to be red.
check section 21 of the IVA manual.

At the end of the day, we know lights to the rear are red, as are the reflectors, i don't know how else you would intend to get around this

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.