Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FWD engine in Middy
chunkielad

posted on 8/1/05 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
FWD engine in Middy

Hi guys,

Just a quick question to try and get an understanding of what's involved in a middy...

Can you put a FWD engine etc in a middy ( obviously at the back )

If so, how do you stop the wheels truning (won't be attached to a steering wheel any more)?

Pseicho

posted on 8/1/05 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, even Toyota (mr2) and Pontiac (fiero) did it. The Lotus Elise and Opel Speedster/Vauxhall VX220 have FWD engines in the back.

You can stop the wheels from turning by attaching an bar to the upright and the frame. So the upright can't turn anymore.

I hope that helps you.

N.B. If you want to understand more about middy's, you might want to start looking at the cars I mentioned above and see how they solved things.

chunkielad

posted on 8/1/05 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
That says it all mate!!

Just wondering really not quite at the stage of doing this (not even started my standard locost first build yet) but these bits of infoare always handy to have locked away in the old brain.....

You never know I may just convert the part built locost chassis I am about to get into a Middy!!!?

imull

posted on 8/1/05 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
if fabricating your won wishbones, you simply weld an adjustable track bar into it as well. This will stop bump steer too.

Search for pictures on World Rally Car Suspension and you will see what I mean...

JoelP

posted on 8/1/05 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
you can also fiddle with how you stop them turning to encourage rear wheel roll steer, which could be desired for 4ws if it was only to be used on smooth surfaces.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

turbo time

posted on 10/1/05 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

if fabricating your won wishbones, you simply weld an adjustable track bar into it as well. This will stop bump steer too.

I didn't have any luck finding WRC photos, but you're saying that the Toe-adjustment tubes are actually attatched to the A-arm and not the chassis? Interesting...

Alan B

posted on 10/1/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbo time
I didn't have any luck finding WRC photos, but you're saying that the Toe-adjustment tubes are actually attatched to the A-arm and not the chassis? Interesting...

Not WRC, I know, but many attach the toe adj. link to the chassis...eg. MR2, Pontiac Fiero,...and me..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.