Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 19/8/17 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
R1 5jj sump

R1 5jj sump wanted . A 4xv may be the same too
chicade

posted on 19/8/17 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Think I have one in the garage will have a look later am out at the minute I bought it off eBay for a 5pw but the guy sent me a 5jj then ignored all my messages so I was £50 odd quid out of pocket if i can find it £40 posted?

[Edited on 19/8/17 by chicade]

CosKev3

posted on 19/8/17 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chicade
Think I have one in the garage will have a look later am out at the minute I bought it off eBay for a 5pw but the guy sent me a 5jj then ignored all my messages so I was £50 odd quid out of pocket if i can find it £40 posted?

[Edited on 19/8/17 by chicade]

Are they different 5JJ to 5PW?

I didn't think they were tbh

chicade

posted on 19/8/17 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Neither did I till I wasted my money and spoke to a few people 4xv and 5jj are the same 5pw and all the models after that are different too
CosKev3

posted on 19/8/17 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chicade
Neither did I till I wasted my money and spoke to a few people 4xv and 5jj are the same 5pw and all the models after that are different too

Really?

Did you actually try it?

As the 5PW is the same bottom end basically as the carbed engines,it still has the 20 valve head too,but just has a cam sensor added extra over the carbed head.

The next generation of R1 engines after the 5PW changed totally to a 16 valve head and totally different bottom end.

chicade

posted on 20/8/17 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes tried it there definitely different
CosKev3

posted on 20/8/17 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Strange.

Why wouldn't it fit?

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 21/8/17 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The next generation of R1 engines after the 5PW changed totally to a 16 valve head and totally different bottom end.

The most desirable engine (my opinion, therefore worthless) actually fits in between the 5PW, to which you refer, and the 4C8 (which is the 16 valve version), the 5VY.

From memory (and many younger years riding/crashing the things), the 4XV was the (not so good) thing. The 5JJ was certainly better (ca. 2002? senior moment), followed by the 5PW with it's 'injection' system relying on depression diaphragms (I kid you not). In 2004 we got the 5VY, a superb unit, willing to rev it's heart out. Turbine smooth, easy electrics, no oil surge, unbreakable (bar the gearbox). In 2007, Yamaha went to a 16 valve format (same lower unit as the 5VY) with the 4C8. It's fun seeing the trumpets move up and down, but not so fun dealing with the electrickery (fly by grief).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.