Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA and Carbs
starterman

posted on 19/11/17 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
IVA and Carbs

Anyone been through IVA on carbs recently?

Cheers
Mike

Schrodinger

posted on 19/11/17 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Not recently but what engine are you using?

Keith
Aviemore

starterman

posted on 19/11/17 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Blacktop zetec
ttalps2000

posted on 19/11/17 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
put my car with the 4age engine and carbs back in june and was fine.

Just about to go for a retest with the zetec and the same carbs!

Emissions wise, if you dont need a cat, just ensure it is below 3.5% CO on idle then turn them back up after!

kingster996

posted on 19/11/17 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Blacktop will need a cat as it will be 1998-2004 age.

No chance of getting through on carbs in my opinion.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

Pete Jordan

posted on 19/11/17 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Would be interested to hear how you got your 4AGE through IVA on carbs ttalps2000. I assume it must have been tested against pre-1992 emissions limits, so how did you prove the engine is pre-1992? I tried contacting Toyota about my 4AGE 16v engine, who were very unhelpful, and tried other means all of which failed. I'm now looking at costs of injection/cat to be able to meet the stricter emission limits.

Pete

ttalps2000

posted on 20/11/17 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
it never got through IVA with the 4age engine in it. Passed the emmisions as the examiner knew what engine it was and the rough year, but despite giving them the letter from Raw, they would not accept it as it did not have my actual engine number on it! Despite long calls with Mark Viccars at DVSA, it would have to have a CAT test or use another engine.

Toyota refused to speak to me in the end about doing a proof of age letter, so I gave up, took it out and it now has a 1992 silver top zetec in it!

Sent a letter to ford, 5 days letter I get a reply with proof of age etc!

DVSA said don't bother trying to get a 4AGE on carbs through a CAT test as it wont happen and unless I want to spend a lot on an injection setup its not worth it!

I see your in Basingstoke, so I assume you went to Northam in Soton? That's where I went and will be again on 6th Dec!

Matt

Pete Jordan

posted on 20/11/17 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
That must have been really frustrating Matt. I saw your posts some time ago about trying to get a proof of age for the Toyota but didn't realise you'd got all the way through installing the engine and taking to the IVA test!

I have not finished my car yet. Long story short, I bought my kit and my 4AGE engine about ten years ago (!) but then moved to a house that needed extensive renovation, so the kit car has been at the rolling chassis stage for all that time. I finally have time to get back to building it now but, having seen some of the posts on proof of age for 4AGE engines I wanted to make sure I'd be alright to IVA on carbs before I went any further. Like you, I contacted Toyota UK, who were very unhelpful, and then even contacted Toyota in Japan (my engine was an import, so I thought it was worth a try) but they, politely, told me they couldn't help. Ironically, if I'd contacted Toyota when I bought the engine, they were still providing proof of age letters then!

Anyway, after speaking with Martin Jones at RAW (very helpful) I'm now going down the injection route, as I want to keep the 4AGE engine and should be able to recoup a lot of the cost by selling my pair of new 45 DCOE type 9 carbs, Megajolt and some other carb associated bits that I won't need for the injection set up.

Best of luck with your retest Matt!

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.